1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Momma hen picking on baby hatchling

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by auntieLisa, May 11, 2010.

1. auntieLisa

auntieLisa In the Brooder

May 4, 2008
    Northern California
    These are silkies. A few days old. The one that mom is picking on is yellow the rest are gray and grayer. Why is momma picking on baby?

2. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    If it is a first time mama it could simply be the baby's color...it is different. If it is an older experienced mama, something could be wrong with the little one and she is "weeding out the weak" so to speak. Mamas are funny sometimes, since she is not being aggressive with anyone else I think one of my possibilities above could be the reason.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member 9 Years

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Has she raised chicks before? If previous hatches have been gray chicks, she is discriminating based on color. The yellow chick just doesn't seem right to her.

4. auntieLisa

auntieLisa In the Brooder

May 4, 2008
    Northern California
    She is a first time momma. It makes me mad. I put it under another momma (1st timer as well) all is going well so far

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: