Momma hen squished her baby.

gimmie birdies

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Feb 12, 2013
Eastern WA
momma hen stepped on 2 day old blue splash maran baby, slept on it all night like that. baby was alive but squished and stuck to bottom of chicken pen. It was crusty and laying very flat. I heated a beany bag and wrapped in towel, feed yolk water and now she is sitting up with open eyes. any time a chick is not doing well I wrap them in a warm towel/beanbag/or hand warmer and they usually get better.

momma hen stepped on 2 day old blue splash maran baby, slept on it all night like that. baby was alive but squished and stuck to bottom of chicken pen. It was crusty and laying very flat. I heated a beany bag and wrapped in towel, feed yolk water and now she is sitting up with open eyes. any time a chick is not doing well I wrap them in a warm towel/beanbag/or hand warmer and they usually get better.

Hopefully the chick is alright.

Does the hen have other chicks? Are you planning to put the chick back with the hen, or will you just care for the chick yourself?

she is done being a mom. but I have 4 other chicks under heat lamp. this one is still with us and I am keeping it warm.

Back
Top Bottom