Momma Hen with 9 chicks - Eyes Closed Listless

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by maplegirl16, Jun 12, 2011.

1. maplegirl16

maplegirl16 New Egg

Jul 6, 2010
    1) What type of bird , age and weight.
    Wyandotte, approx 1 year, has lost weight, not sure exactly
    2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    When she was brooding on the eggs, she just looked tired and one eye was closed once in awhile. After the chicks hatched (one week ago), she seem okay, still an eye closed sometimes. Yesterday, seem a bit worse, but was still walking around and scratching. Today, both eyes closed, walks with eyes closed (even walked over her chicks), and just sits down. Tried to feed her scratch (in my hand in her face), and also put fresh water in her face, not interested, nor opening her eyes. She will open her eyes when you pick her up. I took her outside (for better light to photograph her), and then I set her down and she started pecking at grass so we put a little scratch down and she ate a very little bit. She also then walked over to the waterer and drank a bit. We put her back in the brooder (water trough) with her chicks and she walked about and ate and drank again.
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? (See above)
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    No other birds are affected We have 30 other adults with 13 eight week old "teenagers) and another momma with two chicks (4 weeks) . All of chickens (except this momma) are generally only in the coop at night. Otherwise free range. Momma has been had not ventured outside.
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    No
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    We use deep bedding (mixture of straw and pine shavings), but under the water get wet and the hen has been scratching in that. I have since moved her and her chicks to our water trough brooder with fresh water and starter (medicated).
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    She had a little loose green stuff. Looked kinda like grass (e.g. stringy). Didn't notice any worms. See photo.
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    None, I have no idea what to do.
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    I would like to treat myself, but have not problem using antibotics or other meds.
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    Will try to figure it out. Photos to come shortly.

2. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Is she real thin? Have you tried lots of egg, yogurt, vit B12?

3. maplegirl16

maplegirl16 New Egg

Jul 6, 2010
    PHOTOS ATTACHED:

Poo
    [​IMG]

Headshot:
    [​IMG]

Eyes Open:
    [​IMG]

4. maplegirl16

maplegirl16 New Egg

Jul 6, 2010
    Thank you! I haven't tried the eggs, but just scrambled some up for her. Hopefully this helps.

5. maplegirl16

maplegirl16 New Egg

Jul 6, 2010
    She is doing better and loving the eggs (and her chicks do too.) I'll be keeping her in the broody area for a few more days, I think.

6. Carolyn

Carolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    Is it possible this is problem related to using straw and it getting wet? I think I have read other posts on here where that made chickens sick. However, it seems like the chicks would have gotten sick first. I am glad she is better.

7. turrbrahma

turrbrahma Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2011
    Have you checked her for lice?

8. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    I think I read you used Pine shavings. It should be wood shavings no pine. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by