Momma in my house with her babies

FisherMOM

Songster
11 Years
May 7, 2008
Bergen, NY
Our 4-H team suggest that I keep momma and her babies in the house until the babies feather out, especially seeing that there are only 2 of them. So we are. But one poop from momma, and she can clear a room!

I have learned though, that I can take her just outside the door and she will go poop! It's great. She doesn't run away either, she tried desperately to get back in to her babies after she goes... sometimes before she goes.

So I take her out in the am and after I see her eat a lot. She is very skinny and had almost starved herself to death. She was broody all summer and this is why we have chicks now. If I had not finally given her eggs to sit on, I truly believe that she would have died.

She needs to get fattened back up.. there is almost nothing to her.

lau.gif
STINKY BROODY POOP, EWWWWW !!!! LOL!!

I'm up in NH and its cold here also, I have a mama hen outside with her babies and everything is fine !! Dont think there is a huge need to keep yours inside !! Mama will keep the babies warm out there !! You could also put a heat lamp up in the coop near the nest she is in, thats what I did (but she doesnt seem to care)

Good luck !! And pics of this great mama and her babies ?

I think it would actually be better to let mom take care of them outside. By keeping them in the house for 6 to 8 weeks they don't have a chance to acclimate to the colder weather. Ma hen will keep them warm enough. I had 2 hens hatch out 13 babies in the middle of Feb. here in MI and they did great, no pasty butt no sniffles or anything. By 6 weeks they were all roosting with the big birds. It was funny watching them jockey for position under ma hens wings.

I was wondering about that too... them not being acclimated.

my other concern is a RIR rooster that I have. I am afraid he might hurt the babies. Should I at least keep Momma and the babies outside and in a different coop for now? I can keep them right next to the other chickens, they will be able to hear each other, just not interact.

Better to be safe than sorry. I would keep them separate until the little chicks learn to run. It is a good idea to keep them close. That way you will have less trouble reintroduceing them back into the flock. I have not had any experience with RIRs yet, but my banty cochin roos actually will protect the chicks. It is the other hens that do the damage unless the ma hen is at the top of the pecking order.

cute pic! The hen's beak looks really long to me, like the top is overgrown. Maybe it's just the angle. Good luck with your chicks. We never had a problem with the roos around the babies. They would call the babies over for food, it was cute. Some of the other hens would peck the babies a bit, but momma always chased them away.

This other roo is low man on the totem pole.. that is why I worry about him. Momma's beak IS LONG... I think it is because she sat on a nest for 3 months. Hopefully she will whittle it back down. This happened once before with her.

We just call her Gonzo. And she IS top hen.. so maybe all will be good!

Thanks for clearing it up about the beak. It makes sense that 3 months in a nest box will do that! Hope she is able to smooth it down, and good luck with the littles.

Back
Top Bottom