Momma & kittens found their way to a new home! Pics

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Toast n Jelly, Nov 8, 2009.

1. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    A female cat showed up on wednesday last, half dead from starvation so I fed her for a couple of days noting that her teats were slightly swollen and figured that she was pregnant or had a litter.
    It took her 3 days to get to looking alive and today she seemed to have the strength to go out so I opened the door and let her out.

5 hours later she returned with 5 kittens!! She had to travel a great distance through fields and woods and ditches with this bunch and she made it! [​IMG] We're very proud of her.
    I was so happy that they were alive and well and look to be around 3 weeks or so old. ETA:
    Vet said they look to be about 5 to 6 weeks old [​IMG] . They are all settled in with food, milk and water and all have round tummies cause mom is now able to feed them. They are eating a little soft cat food and drinking milk and water on their own as well as nursing from mom.

I used Ivermectin pour on for the mom on wed. and need info for the kittens as I've never had kittens this young before but I know they must have worms and what not. I'd like to wait a few days before taking them to the vet but wanted to worm them now if I could use the pour on and need to know if it would be just a drop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2009
  2. greyhorsewoman

greyhorsewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Endless Mts, NE PA
  3. Blondie

Blondie Chillin' With My Peeps

Please be careful with any chemicals and newborns. [​IMG] Can you wait a few more weeks before you expose them to the Ivermectin?

4. happyfeet

happyfeet Out Of The Brooder

Dec 24, 2007
    PLEASE DO NOT USE IVERMECTIN PUOUR ON ON CATS. ivermectin can be deadly for cats and i found out the hard way.

5. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Ivermectin is really a poor choice for cats and an even worse idea for kittens. Cats are sensitive to it and while you can find a small enough dose that it doesn't harm them it will also be too small of dose to kill all the pests as effectively as it does on other animals. Very young kittens (less than 6-8weeks) can be washed with dawn dish soap, the plain kind, and then use a flea comb several times after that to prevent any remaining fleas from reinfesting them. Kittens older than that can have frontline, advantage, and other topicals applied to them as well as pills like capstar if they are in good condition. Weaker or smaller kittens you should wait until at least 12weeks old. Do not use over the counter topicals sold at petstores unless you are familiar with the brand. Some are quite dangerous.

Plenty of cats get killed off every year by livestock owners using their ivermectin based medications on them. I can name several friends that have done it and seen first hand the symptoms of a cat that's suffered ivermectin overdose.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  6. OccamsTazer

OccamsTazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Please don't! Cat metabolism is wacky and sensitive!
    Strongid-T is good for wee ones.

7. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    For kittens use STRONGID Dosage is 1 cc for 5 pounds. I normally use 1/4cc for kittens the first worming.

8. Toast n Jelly

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    Thanks all for your advice. I've decided to take them to the vet for an exam and whatever they need.

Pics in the first post.

9. ChickenFanaticAB

ChickenFanaticAB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    GA
    I don't know about the meds...but what a great thing for you to do! Momma cat obviously trusts you to bring back her babies to your house! They are a beautiful bunch (mom especially!!), and good luck with them!

10. Toast n Jelly

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    Quote:Thanks! yes she knows that she and her kittens will never go hungry here and be safe from the free range dogs, foxes and coyotes.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by