Momma not protecting her babies? Remove them from others?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LeafLover, Jun 20, 2011.

1. LeafLover

LeafLover Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2011
    Tennessee
    Well, she fights off us when we walk up to her; but she could care less when the other chicken attacks her babies. Usually we keep her and the chicks locked up in their big cage, but we figured we'd let them get out for a while. I had to keep throwing sticks near the red hen to keep her to lay off. So, do I seperate the babies from the momma and keep them in a separate cage?

Chicks and momma in question.....( there's three babies)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the brown hen in question....

[​IMG]

So, what do I do?

Also, I'm afraid I got a roo :'(
    A girl
    [​IMG]

Then the other one of the same age

[​IMG]

2. Erica

Erica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    Hi Steph,

I guess hens usually integrate chicks at a younger age when she's more protective. A subordinate hen may have trouble bringing chicks into the flock, especially if she's been kept separate for many weeks.

If it was me... Yes, I'd remove them, raise them to adult size then do the integration. But everything depends on how badly they're being bullied. Is it attempted murder or just the odd peck?

Lastly, it does appear you may have at least one rooster... [​IMG]

best wishes
    Erica

3. LeafLover

Jun 16, 2011
    Tennessee
    Thanks for the response.
    We had to keep them separate because we have a standard poodle that likes to play every now and then. The red hen will chase them around. Like, REALLY chase the poor babies. Guess I'd better get the net...or figure out HOW to get the little turds to come to me...

4. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    sorry to say, I think you have two roos there. I agree with the above poster on what to do with them. I had a hen that just wouldn't protect her one chick so I put the chick in with others that didn't have a mama. I actually turned them loose in the coop at three weeks of age. These four stick together like glue and are doing fine. They come into the coop at night on their own and are thriving. They free range with the rest of the flock.

5. LeafLover

Jun 16, 2011
    Tennessee
    TWO roos???[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Which other one is a rooster? The Easter Egger?
    Well, I sat outside today and nobody messed with them. Then again, they didnt go near each other.... I'll catch them soon I guess.

EDIT: I meant the Easter Egger baby. Not the adult one.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  6. ozark hen

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    from looking at the first pic, the two chicks on the right look like roos to me but it could be the light? Do they actually have bright red combs compared to the chick on the left? does the one on the left have a light pink comb?

7. LeafLover

Jun 16, 2011
    Tennessee
    Now that you mention it...I think she- HE I mean- does :'(

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And just for fun....he little black roo is holding himself like this in almost every picture I have of him.
    [​IMG]

Some of the pictures have this guy^ ( the black roo) in it, and some have the girl.
    So, I've got two roo's? Awz.

8. ozark hen

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    He is really strutting his stuff now isn't he? [​IMG] But in some of the pics...the little white one looks like a hen and in others like a roo so now I am not so sure?? [​IMG]

9. LeafLover

Jun 16, 2011
    Tennessee
    Well, the white one and the black roo have been fighting....time to separate. Does that mean the white one is indeed a roo? I can work on more pics if you need them...
    I just don't want three roos!

10. ozark hen

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    just wait and see. pullets will spar together, too. Good exercise for them. ha let's just keep an eye on them and see what you end up with.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by