Momma peafowls having eye problems

kathydoolittle

Songster
10 Years
Dec 14, 2009
Pittsburg KS
I have to momma peafowls that where given to me. One of them has both eyes swollen shut, they other one has a matted eye. I have been flushing them with water to try and help, but doesn't seem to be helping, one is not eating or drinking. No vet will see them in my area. I have been trying to give water to the one with a syringe, but havn't been able to get her to eat. Please help any suggestions appreciated.

Kathy. The birds have a sinus infection and need to have an antibiotic like baytril or tylan 200 ,this can be gotten from a vet. I may be too far along to get rid of the swelling but needs to be stopped. If you can do that.. the lump can be cut out and it will heal up fine ( some may loose an eye ) Vet will advise you as to how much but I give a mature bird as much as one to two cc of Baytril under the skin on the back. And more in 48 hrs.. Now you might get a number of suggestions as there are no exact fixes because of the time of the infection, age of the bird. State of his living conditions before and a host of other things including opinions. You can force feed them with a large sringe and mushy feed with vitamins... Keep us informed.. George connerhills

just had the same problem. Gave the bird a shot 2cc of tylan 200mg, continued to clean the eye twice a day, gave him another shot 1cc two days later.
EVERYTHING cleared up by the 4th day. Birds is perfect now!!

You can get Tylan at most TSC stores. I got a large bottle for $30.

Last edited:
I found the Tylan 200, boy that was a chore it was 45 minutes from me. But they got there injections, so now time will tell, I pray I don't loss one of my momma's, but at least I know I have done everything I can for her. I will keep you posted

All is well this morning. Thanks for the help everyone.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom