Momma Rats

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by into_my_web, Nov 17, 2009.

1. into_my_web

into_my_web Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Newfoundland
    Hey everyone,
    I was just wondering if you could keep two momma rats with their litters in the same cage?
    Would they fight or hurt each other's babies?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  2. aggieterpkatie

aggieterpkatie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    It's possible to keep them in the same cage. Sometimes they'll even help each other out while raising babies. It helps if they're in the cage together before they give birth, so they get used to each other and don't get too protective over their babies. Make sure they have plenty of space too.

3. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    Yes, plenty of space, ideally with different levels, would be a good thing. If they're overcrowded they'll kill the young. Be sure to remove the males before breeding age!

4. aggieterpkatie

aggieterpkatie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    Quote:Yes, definitely! Remove the males at 4 weeks, or if you can't do that absolutely NO LATER than 5 weeks.

5. into_my_web

into_my_web Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Newfoundland
    I put the other female and her litter in the cage and she made a nest on the opposite side of the cage.
    They seem to be getting along and they haven't killed any of their young of anything.
    Thanks everyone.

6. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

It can go either way. Usually it's okay and you'll see them even swap babies and such, just let them do their own thing and don't stress about everything they do. They'll probably cull at least a couple babies but that's pretty normal. Usually they'll help each other.

7. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    They might even end up with both litters in one big nest. If one litter is older than the other this doesn't always work out because the youngest ones end up getting pushed to the bottom of the nest during nursing. It's interesting watching them swap babies back and forth. I usually give mine a cardboard box to nest in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by