Momma returned to wrong nest???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rhea, May 12, 2010.

1. rhea

rhea Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2008
    My first broody hen, she has been sitting on eight eggs for 9 days, yesterday she returned to the wrong nest after getting a bite to eat. Her eggs were left probably about 6 hours, cool to touch when I returned her to them. The outside temp was in the low 70's. Are those eggs lost or is there a chance they might still be viable? Any info will be helpful, thanks-Rhea

2. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    I wouldnt toss them yet..and [​IMG]

3. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    Let her continue to sit and see what happens.

4. SPRING CREEK FARM

SPRING CREEK FARM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    Vanleer,TN
    [​IMG] Yeah, I have had that problem myself; happens a lot when you have more than one hen wanting to be broody! I would continue to let her set and see what happens; some of them will probably hatch out; I have had the same to happen and most of the eggs did manage to get hatched out! The only way I know of that this can be prevented is to somewhat have the hen that is setting in a more protective area as to keep the others out. Right now, I have 2 hens setting in the same coop and I have had to separate them so noone else claims their nest! [​IMG] Best of luck for your hatch!

5. Kotiya

Kotiya Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2009
    South-West Ohio
    I had a broody (we were so excited for 3 days) who suddenly started switching nests. We left her alone, and after another day or two she seems to get over it. Wish at least one of my 19 ladies would feel broody! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by