1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Momma's goin' huntin'!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Bammony, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Bammony

Bammony Red-dress-less

Aug 15, 2008
    Salina, Utah
    For my neighbors Boxers. Dang dogs woke me up this morning by chasing my chickens through my yard. I was not dressed right to be going over there and chewin the neighbors out so I had my son run next door and tell them to get their dogs cause momma's gettin her gun. They ran out to get their dogs that were trapped in my yard. I can't stand it when people let their dogs run loose like that. Anyway, I called animal control just so they know I'm having an issue with their dogs so that when momma finally does go huntin', they'll know it's been a problem for a while. I may go over later and let them know that their dogs are going to be shot if it happens again, or I may not, i dunno. what would ya'll do? Tell them or shoot and shovel?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Since its not the dogs fault, i think i would catch the dog and call animal control or police.
    BUT......if they had killed my birds.......i may lose my sympathy too. I do feel bad sometimes for the dogs because its the owners who need to be [​IMG]

3. Bammony

Bammony Red-dress-less

Aug 15, 2008
    Salina, Utah
    I don't know if it killed any yet. haven't gotten dressed to go outside yet. I'll be checking in a few minutes and if there are any dead....they be carried to the neighbors door and i will let them pay me for any damages their dogs caused.

4. BethinIrving

BethinIrving Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2008
    We have a triple row of fencing and it still will not keep out cats, possums, owls, raccoons, or the fence climbing Rotweiller next door. We also have installed steel gurding under the fencing because he also digs through. I also have individual shelters for all the animals which were built with security in mind. We have also been forced to install security cameras because of this situation.

The strength of that dog is remarkable. And yes, he is legal.

We've lost one bunny and one goose to that dog. He didn't eat them, he simply crawled over the fencing and grabbed the animals, took them back to his yard where he killed them. I'm beginning to think the dog has some sort of inbred behavior that he has to drag his victims home before killing them.

We had a goose that was disabled, and we cared for the goose to the point it received nursing care that a human would receive in the same situation. The dog dug under three layers of fencing, and a layer of 14 inch steel girding and got that goose. It enraged the entire family.

We are still trying to do what we can to use repellants, but it appears we are going to have to use some sort of electric fencing. That's the only option that's left.

5. Duppydo

Duppydo Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2008
    How disgusting and sickening...! A dog like that could be very capable of killing a young child, given the chance.. What kind of people own a dog that consistently acts that way...? Why don't they keep the beast under control...? I'm sure you've spoke to them and they are aware. I be scared half to death if i had young children and lived near a crazy dog like that..! When all your animals have been killed, what will it go after next...?? That dogs owner should be jailed and the dog removed..

6. Duppydo

Duppydo Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2008
    My response was to what BethinIrving's post said...just to be clear...

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Another post on another thread suggested a paintball gun first. When their dogs go home covered in paint. There are some other threads that have had legal issues. I recenly shot and killed two shunks that had been after my younger chickens. I contacted the Fish and game and was told that skunks were ok in my area but there are some areas that it is illegal. I would SSS.

8. Bassleg

Bassleg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2008
    Lebanon Oregon
    They will be back and thats for sure!!! I wouldn't shoot the dogs until they kill one of your chickens first but then get the shotgun!

9. TexasVet

TexasVet Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    Willis TX
    I had the same problem with my neighbor's dogs. They killed 4 chickens the first time they got out, and I warned them to keep the dogs off my place. The second time they killed chickens, I warned them again. I very clearly said that if the dogs got after my chickens again, I'd shoot them. The third time they attacked I actually tried to shoot them, but they moved too fast for me to hit.

The frustrating thing was that these ignorant people said they knew exactly where the dogs were getting out of their yard! Another neighbor finally went over there and fix their fence just to keep the dogs from being killed.

These people offered to pay for the killed birds (every time), but that's not the point. I don't put months of time and effort into birds just to turn them into dog treats. And who wants to start over every couple of months with chicks?

People like that shouldn't be allowed to own animals.

Kathy in Texas

PS: Out here in the boonies we don't have an animal control officer that you can call. State law says you have the right to kill any animal that is attacking your livestock, domestic dogs included.

10. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Git 'em Laura! Shoot, Shovel, and Shut Up. If they come asking, say "I haven't seen them around lately. Did they get out again?"

If you warn them and have to shoot the dogs it will only start a fight with your neighbors. They are perfectly aware of the problem now and it's up to them to contain their dogs, not your responsibility to prevent anything bad from happening to them. They obviously don't care about the dogs or they would keep them contained.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by