momma's with babies (pics)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tuesdays chicks, Nov 1, 2010.

1. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    she brought them out into the run, found a grub and started breaking it up for them, she would make this sound like wait wait then get a piece broken off and cluck cluck to call them over then wait wait while she was still breaking it up, it was fascinating to watch, this was yesterday at 3 days old, so I went inside to get some meal worm, brought out a handful in a scoop, she would grab a beakful and scatter them and do the clucking sound again come back and fill her beak, she is such a good momma [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. newlyweds

newlyweds Pearl of the Prairie

Mar 12, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    Oh my, how cute is that. What a beautiful momma, and such cute chicks!!![​IMG]

3. Backyard_Chicken_rancher

Backyard_Chicken_rancher Chillin' With My Peeps

Congratz My BO just hatched out her 3 youngins they are so cute and curious with her but all she needs to do is cluck and they all come running to her. it is very nice to just sit and watch her with them,there is something very calming about it..

4. tuesdays chicks

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    oops I guess I was going to type she is such a good momma to these chicks and thought to post pics and never finished my thought lol, they are surrogate and she rejected the black chicks, but 3 of these 4 chicks hatched under her and she took the 1 that was twin to 1 of hers. she would of hatched a black chick, but she pushed the egg out day 19 or 20 and I stuck it in incubator it hatched but wasn't right and died, guess she knew it didn't grow right.

5. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    how sweet!! i wish one of my chickens had babies! [​IMG] but its so cold here in ct. (best till spring time).

6. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Sweet pics.

I am going to try hatching some eggs early spring. I have a chronic broody and a new broody pullet (she laid one egg and promptly went broody and hasn't left the nesting boxes in about 2 weeks). At least now I have a rooster, so I have some use for all these broodies I keep getting. [​IMG]

7. tuesdays chicks

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    no rooster here, I was thinking the neighbors would complain about a rooster, the original plan was 2 chicken [​IMG] [​IMG] turned into 3 bantam 1 lame BO, saw green eggs and have to have pretty eggs, when the babies grow up going to try to keep a quiet roo if thats at all possible lol and rehome 2 bantam, I have 4 ee chicks so hoping to get at least 1 green or blue egg layer, by may they may all be laying. and then I'll have to figure out who is staying and who is going, I think our local fair grounds has the poultry show in January and I should know the roos by then hopefully maybe bring them there and get rid of them. my last roos were crowing at 5 weeks, but ee's seem to be different so I'll find out.

8. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh, I want a broody hen! How darling! I had read the EE are good broodies. I bought a large pet carrier off of Craig's List yesterday for $25 with the thought it could be good for a broody hen. Otherwise it will be my 'jail' for Dolly when she gets too OCD about the nest boxes!

Thanks for sharing the photos...I would never get my DH out of the run if we have a mama with lil ones. [​IMG]

9. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    Great pics..just love the ones with chicks peeking out! [​IMG]

10. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    awww, what a cute momma.

I kind of hope for a broody hen next spring. I have to admit the last thing I need is more chickens though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by