Mommy Confused?

speedabug

Songster
11 Years
Apr 5, 2008
My Seabright hen has just hatched her first egg. The egg was not her own it was a Dominequer egg. I have had her a few years now and she has never sat on any eggs till now. She only has one chick but she is confused on what to do. She follows it as if she was a chick. I dont want the chick to be harmed do you have any advice.

I don't have any experience with this. Maybe since this is the first that she's hatched, she's simply confounded as to what it is and where it came from. I'm assuming that she hasn't raised chicks before. I would probably keep an eye on her for a couple of days and watch how she is interacting with the chick. Unless she acts aggressively towards it, I'm sure that she'll be fine rearing it.

It is her first time it was just weird seeing her broody. Shes in a seperats pen with it because the other chickens peck at it. She doesnt know to chase them away. Im afraid it will become bigger than her and she want know what to do with it.

I don't think size (and sometimes species) is an issue. I've heard of goats that have reared foals. As long as your hen shows her how to be a chicken I think you'll be fine.

Back
Top Bottom