Mommy...do chickens smile?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by asher, Mar 27, 2009.

1. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    We have had a broody hen for probably a week. I meant to give her eggs, but kept forgetting. Well, the boys checked for eggs today and DS came in with one chicken egg and said "You might be mad at me...but there were actually two. I gave her one because I thought it would make her happy."

Then I told him to take the other three out to her, too that we had in the cupboard. He did, came back in and said "Mommy, do chickens smile?" I said I didn't know, why. He said "I think when I gave her those eggs, I saw her smile."

[​IMG] He's a boy after his mama's heart, that's for sure!

2. CANDLE98

CANDLE98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    AWE! That is the cutiest story ever! you have sweet boys!

3. asher

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Thank you [​IMG] That's my 9yr old. The 11yr old is way more like his dad on the animal front and doesn't generally care that much about them except "his dog". [​IMG]

4. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    You can sure make hens happy [​IMG] My broody I could tell was so happy when her chicks hatched but when they disappeared she was so sad [​IMG] Hens do have emotion that's for sure. I wish I had done a better job of keeping her babies safe. I found out chicken wire won't keep them in and will be using even smaller wire next time.

5. asher

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Quote:I need to get a few small pet taxis again. I had some and let a "friend" borrow them. He never brought them back and disappeared so my pet taxis for broodies are no more. Normally when I have broodies, I put them in a pet taxi in the basement or corner of the barn until they're big enough to not worry so much with them around the rest of the flock.

6. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

awwww. I just love the little ones, they say the sweetest things! Enjoy them, they grow up so fast. [​IMG]

7. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    Quote:I need to get a few small pet taxis again. I had some and let a "friend" borrow them. He never brought them back and disappeared so my pet taxis for broodies are no more. Normally when I have broodies, I put them in a pet taxi in the basement or corner of the barn until they're big enough to not worry so much with them around the rest of the flock.

Great idea. I had her in a chicken wire pen I built inside the barn to keep the chicks away from the main flock but did not realize the chicks could get out and she couldn't [​IMG] I hope your hen smiles again [​IMG] I think kids say the darndest things [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by