Mommy Hen In cold weather

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by freemare, Dec 18, 2016.

1. freemare

freemare Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2016
    So I have a young broody hen who has chicks who are hatching now. You can hear them chirping. However I am so worried about leaving her outside when its going to be 16 to night. It was so cold last night with frost. I dont know if I should bring her in the house till the chicks are done hatching and drying out. What do you think.

2. ChickenGrass

ChickenGrass Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2015
    Republic of Ireland
    If she has warm bedding
    She should be fine.
    The chicks will stay warm because they are under the broody hen.
    I wouldn't move the hen as a change of setting while hatching,
    The chicks may make her stop being broody.
    Make sure she has nice deep bedding (I think straw is the best or hay)
    And they should be fine.
    Goodluck,
    Fionn.

3. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    You don't need to move them, and moving them during a hatch is a bad idea. The hen isn't going to break now that she has chicks, but moving during hatch can cause a drop in humidity that will cause the chicks to shrink wrap and not be able to escape the egg. As long as they are under the hen they are toasty warm and you don't need to worry. She can raise them totally outside too and they will just get underneath her when they need to get warm again.

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Be more concerned about how to treat her tomorrow. Make so chicks are not forced to go over or around obstructions to keep up with her. Keeping the chicks in water will be a bigger challenge.

5. freemare

freemare Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2016
    I have her in a dog play pen now in the chicken coop. (its a big coop) I also have lots of water that I can change out for each day. The days are nice around 50 or higher. Its just the nights are strange. Some are 16 other nights is 36 or higher.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by