Mom's sick again *UPDATE Post #12*

Iowa Roo Mom

Resistance Is Futile
11 Years
Apr 30, 2009
Keokuk County
I won't bore anyone with the details again, but mom's disease is flaring up. Please pray for her so she can get through it without a hospital stay this time. It's the last thing she needs right now.

Thanks...
Iowa

Last edited:
hugs.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

Quote:
Mom has an auto-immune disorder called Behcet's syndrome. It causes alot of SEVERE joint pain/swelling, causes strictures of the vascular system which has resulted in the amputation of most of her fingers/toes- superficial ulcerations of the mouth, in her case, which has resulted in many oral surgeries. She has had multiple hickman line placements which has resulted in stenosis of her veins, making IV access next to impossible.
On good days she can work circles around most people half her age, but on bad days, she's one sick puppy. She is usually admitted to the hospital for pain control, and is administered 1 GRAM of solumedrol (sp) IV and back a few years ago, it was nothing for her to be getting 50-60-70 MG of morphine IV per hour! Did I mention she takes a chemo drug once a week to keep this monster in check?
These days she doesn't have quite the tolerence to those doses of opiates- one of the last few times she was in the hospital (back in March) she went to the ICU for acute renal failure (her kidneys suddenly shut down) as well as severe respiratory depression, as much as 15-20 second periods of apnea- resulting in her being put on the BI-PAP.
I realize mom is getting older, and her life expectancy is significantly shortened by the effects of her lifetime on the medications, but she can't be doing that ICU stuff on me again anytime soon! I just started school for crying out loud!
Right now she is at home- but has been in bed consistantly for the last 4-5 days or so. If she cannot turn this around on her own (and sad to say she usually can't) we'll have to take her to the hospital. I'm praying for a miracle that she'll be "magically better" when I get home from school today. Thanks for the prayers everyone!
hugs.gif
She needs them!

Back
Top Bottom