Mom's time according to medicare for rehab is up :-( *update page 4

Wendy,

I think in Arkansas once they've stayed the max amount of time in rehab they can go home for a week and be readmitted. My sister was telling me this when we were going through this with my mom. Home Health care is wonderful. We have wonderful therapist and aide that works with her.

jackie

Hi everyone, been on the phone alot with my sisters and others, have not been on here.

This is the latest: She is going to my sisters in Flordia. When she heals enough she is going to come stay with us, my dh will build a ramp he said if we need it before she gets here. She will stay with us to give my sister and her family a break and give my youngest two a chance to be around her. Otherwise they will not know there gramdma. They are 3 & 2! And my mom loves hearing about our animals, so it will be a change for her. I believe she will enjoy it.

I just pray for contiuned healing of her ankle. The doctor said it is healing better than it first was. That is a blessing.

I will keep everyone updated :)

You know, something to look into, I don't know if Dr.s will do it for just this purpose only, but gastric bypass surgery. She may not be overweight, but they are finding that GBS is CURING diabetes. It has something to do with the taking out of the first part of the large or small intestine. I can't remember which.

Maybe once her diabetes is gone she will be able to heal much faster. Just a thought.

I pray things work out soon. And the advice of someone here about looking into the laws concerning medicare/medicaid. When I researched for my mother, I found out that she and my father didn't have to be 'homeless' to get benefits. It is some kind of law for the surviving spouse. Like they took into consideration that,yes, my mother needed care, but my father didn't. He had to have a place to live and his expenses had to be met on top of hers. There was also some kind of provision that took into consideration her home, if she wasn't married. It had something to do with, the gov't would evaluate the income she had coming in plus her house. They would pay out to the facility for her care and then when she passes on one day, the gov't takes from her estate what they've paid into for her care. Neither of these worked out for my mother because she had 'too much' passive income coming in from her father's estate due to owning stocks. Not that it is much income, but still..

I am in Georgia so things may be different here, but DO look into your laws. And I *think* most states have law that allows homeownership to still qualify for benefits. It may end up getting taken to pay back benefits, but if care is short lived, the patient can have a home to go back to.

How I found the information, I just googled 'medicare laws in Gerogia'. A ton of stuff popped up.

Hope this helps!

Quote:
I don't think they would do gastric bypass surgery on my mom. She is almost 75 for one thing. She has high blood pressure, glaucoma, macular degeneration, her kidneys do not function like a healthy person's should, plus but not least the diabetes. She has had a infection in her other foot when she went into a diabetic coma (which is when she got diagnosed with diabetes) The wound took so long to heal, plus she lost part of her big toe and second toe due to diabetes and the infection, they amputated these toes. I am not a doctor, but any cutting that would take time to heal is not good for a diabetic. Especially someone like my mom's case. Then you put the age on top of that. I have heard them talking on the gastirc bypass surgery and about diabetes. So I know what you mean and thanks for the info too. My cousin was a diabetic since age 5 she had to have a pancrease transplant and thus is no longer a diabetic. But the "harm" that the diabetes did to her body all those years has affected her. She is only in her early 40's. But she has diabetic retinopathy, had part of her leg amputated. So just because you get ride of the diabetes does not mean that you get to "leave the bad effects it does to your body behind"

I guess I made sense with that medical jumbo
smile.png

On the house thing, my mom lives in a apartment. She has been out of a home for a long time. So we don't have that to look into. But that is some good info and may help some on here!

Back
Top Bottom