Mom's WEIRD Mystery Hen.....

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Bleenie, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

We got this girl as a "baby" (a couple months old) from a family in the next town, their daughter was raising & selling them to help pay for something she really wanted. We ended up buying some Purebred Polish & Japanese chickens from her and this girl... She was supposed to be a White Japanese, lol.

Well needless to say, she is not a Jap. We have no idea what this strange, crazy, freaky little hen is!! She is a CHUNK though, totally solid but very small. She also has a very different looking head.. almost no comb and no waddles so far either. I was thinking maybe she was some type of meat bird or cross? What do you guys think?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Some form of Cornish.

3. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    He is Bantam Cornish (mixed colors or cross).Boy for sure

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I'm thinking Cornish also.

And poor girl, she's had her beak clipped and it looks like she may have been dubbed.

5. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Well she was about 2-3 months old when we bought her so she should start laying soon (but i know nothing about Cornish) since we bought her early this year.

Can they Dub them & Clip the beaks when they're hatchlings? I thought that her comb looked weird and her beak looked a bit too small but i figured it was a breed thing since we've had her since she was pretty young.

She doesn't have any "Rooster Feathers", not on the neck, saddle or tail So I am pretty sure it's a hen. She also doesn't crow.

6. ve

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    New2chooks, I'm very disappointed, for first time you don't support me. [​IMG] Look at the 3rd picture, all his back is full of creamy-yellow rooster feathers. You can not expect from Cornish to have Jappanese tail.

7. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

She has those yellow feathers all over her in patches, I also thoguht it was a Very roo-ish color pattern. If it's a rooster, what age do Cornish start crowing? because this one isn't yet, there's no spur nubbs & the feathers all look hen-like.

8. ve

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    I think in next mont or so you will know for sure.Cornish grow fast but mature slow

9. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Hmmm, you may be right. [​IMG] I was focused on the beak/comb. I guess everybody has an "off" day sometime. [​IMG]

And no, I wouldn't expect a Cornish to have a japanese tail.[​IMG]

10. ve

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    But I still think you are very expirienced chicken person.And I think it is time for you to change your name.You are not new to chooks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by