Mom's who want to Lose!---Yet love to bake **

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by bragabit, Aug 31, 2010.

1. bragabit

bragabit Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Southern Utah
    It was sad morning. I got on the bathroom scale to be greeted by a vile number. The big, fat 2-0-0. Ugh, its not the number I wanted to see. Granted my habit of indulging in cookie dough yesterday played into that number. Last year at this time I was a slimmer 190, but stress, life and a great love for food helped me balloon my way up.

I am a mommy to 4 wonderful kiddos. Motherhood and brought so much joy to my heart, and inches to my waistline...and hips. I am sure you get the picture. I am 5'6" so I could lose a good 50 pounds off my frame. I am rather busy through out the day with the house, laundry, animals, garden, meals and community responsibilities. That brings me to my posting here. I know there has to be someone(s) out there with similar circumstances.

You know who you are....someone like me who bakes the Amish Friendship Bread (cake) with intending for the family to enjoy it. But truthfully we all know who eats most of it. I like food, yup I admit it. But I do need to cut back. Watching my own Mom fight breast cancer has shown me how important a healthy lifestyle is.

So if you are interested in eating more whole foods and trying to lose weight please join this thread. Other than my love for food I am pretty darn healthy and don't have any other excuses for my plumpness. I do dabble in anxiety and while it is not "fun" I tend to lose weight when I have bad episodes.

To get this thread started off with a bang I am going to share what we are going to have for dinner:

Grilled Mesquite Chicken (drizzled with honey)
    Boiled Red Potatoes (From my own garden)
    Zuchinni (broiled and sprinkled with garlic and olive oi)
    Cantelope

Dessert: Someone help me here. I am something terrible in this department. I like to spoil my family with Texas Sheet Cake, homemade cookies or amish friendship bread. I get down right grumpy without my nightly dessert. How do we get rid of this terrible habit! I love to bake, cook and come up with fantastic sweets.

I was thinking of making an apple crisp, or maybe some pumpkin chocolate chip cookies... but I AM NOT going to.

Maybe I could go and pick some ripe blackberries and we could eat them with some yogurt??

This is me and my youngest

[​IMG]

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Well, I think you look beautiful! I wish I was thinner......don't know if I can commit to a healthy diet though....it's SO HARD for me......maybe you can motivate me to try.

I'm a 47 year old mom of 4 kids, two are grown now, and two are home. (3 boys 1 girl) I work full time in an office where I sit on my tush all day. Then I come home, make dinner, do laundry, clean house, tend the garden, care for the chickens, take care of our new puppy....(that's like having a baby again), and when I get a minute, I like to watch TV and snack. Which is BAD.

I'm probably 220 and 5'7. So sad. It's been a lifetime struggle for me.

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I love desserts too......maybe a smoothie made with frozen yogurt and a little bit of granola sprinkled on top? You know, there are some great frozen ice cream treats that weightwatchers makes, and they are very good. One is like a frozen latte, and another is sorto of an ice cream bar dipped in fudgy crumbles.....and they're big. They might satisfy your sweet tooth.

Oh, I forgot to mention I'm a grandmother too. Beautiful little Lucy is just about 6 mos old.

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    5'3" and 230 lbs....ugh!

Been battling with it since I had my DD, I was around 145 lbs and with all the aches, pains, complications and BC, well I ballooned up. I am glad hubby love me the way I am but sure why are all those foods are so tempting!!!!!!!!! I fall off the diet wagon again and again AND AGAIN!

Double ugh!

5. bragabit

bragabit Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Southern Utah
    You know once I get into some good habits I do really well. I was walking earlier before school got back in. 6:30am and the world is such a beautiful place then. All by myself with my mp3 player. I listen to Jillian Michaels (Trainer from Biggest Loser) she has some great things to say. One of her motto/ideas is that she believes all junk she be out of the house. I am working on that. But I am such a dummy I just make some. I can't imagine getting rid of my baking stuff.

I do like the weight watcher/blue bunny diet items. But I am trying really hard to cut back on my processed foods.

6. SunnyDawn

SunnyDawn Sun Lovin' Lizard

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Yep, love, love, love to bake! I'm 5'7" and not quite as plump but still need to lose some weight! The extra weight I'm carrying is killing my back! I have been trying to avoid trans fats (shortening, margarine etc., which are even in Weight Watcher's stuff [​IMG]) since it is sooo hard on my weight and it's so bad for the heart! It's not a problem when I bake from scratch but we eat out often and I also find it in tons of stuff from the grocery store!
    Having a bad back means I can't cook three meals a day from scratch. I'm good for one thing only each day and that includes sewing, gardening etc. I have always been able to keep the weight off with exercise and still eat whatever I wanted but not any more! I'm sure being over 50 doesn't help either. But I seriously love food!
    I'm not one of those folks that stuff anything into their mouths without even tasting it. If I'm not really enjoying it I don't eat it. The trouble is, I love to cook and when I eat now it all goes to the waistline cause I'm not working it off. It's terrible! I used to teach aerobics and I could have 3 milkshakes a day and still look great! I feel like my back has betrayed me and I don't know what to do about it!
    I really don't like most diet food but I did stick to grilled (not breaded and fried) chicken and an apple last night but this morning I had a Red Velvet cupcake instead of eggs for breakfast. [​IMG] I made them for Dh's work. They are having a potluck today and there were extras (if I'd been smart I would have sent them all).
    I sometimes bake things that DH loves, and I don't care for, just to be able to resist but then when I'm watching him scarf down all these treats I feel cheated so the next day I'm in baking something I love. If I could just be more deciplined in at least ONE area I'd be fine. I can't seem to stick to exercise (walking hurts less than most exercises but I still flake out) or completely avoid transfats, or even have a lighter dessert only once a day. I love my sweets! [​IMG]
    Tried to get DH to eat his treats away from me but he is thin and really needs the extra calories or he loses weight like crazy! *sigh* I used to be like that...

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  7. greeneggsandham

greeneggsandham Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Putnam,CT
    I just joined WW online to get my butt moving. I feel I needed something to hold me accountable so I also joined one of the challenges they have going on Lose 50lbs by December 31st which technically is only 2.7 lbs a week. I have kept 72lbs off for five years after WW, but I really need to get another 50 off. Writing down what you eat can really make you look at how many calories and stuff your eating. I'm 5'9" and 243 as of this morning.

8. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    You have courage to say the big 2-0-0 number out loud. I bet you will succeed with your goal because you are so honest with yourself and how you got where you are.

I know the task ahead for you. When I was on a certain anti-depressant for the summer of 2006, I got up to 160 lbs (5'4"). I went off it, started viewing food as fuel rather than entertainment, and am now 129 lbs (my ideal weight, supposedly).

With your self-honesty, you will achieve what you want. Bravo to you.

9. SunnyDawn

SunnyDawn Sun Lovin' Lizard

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Sorry, this 50 lbs by Christmas kinda scares me. Since I used to teach health and fitness I know that an ideal amount of weight to lose is 5 lbs per month. More than that and you are likely to put it back on again in a few years. Diet companies want you coming back to lose it again and again so they don't advertise this info. In fact the perfect way to lose weight, and also increase your matabolism is to eat small amounts, often throughout the day (just cut out the delicious, decadent, lovely junk we eat [​IMG]). If you lose 5 lbs. one month and then stabilize for the next month, you are even more likely to keep the weight off long term.
    We all want a quick fix but we didn't put the weight on in just a few months. It makes sense that we should be careful when taking it off. The ideal would be to improve our metabolism while we lose weight responsibly and stay healthy at the same time. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  10. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    Quote:I totally agree! And you don't look like you're 200 lbs BTW. I also love to bake (and eat some of it) What kinda works for me is - I don't like that feeling the next morning knowing I was bad the night before - the guilt and berating I do to myself for eating junk or too much of anything - it lays heavy on me and makes me a witch the next day. So every night that I DON'T eat extra junk, the better I feel. [​IMG] Each morning I wake up knowing I didn't eat crap the night before is empowering for me and keeps me going. The hard part is getting past those first few days of doing without those delicious goodies. [​IMG]

[​IMG] Buff!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by