1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

MONARC23/SHELLEYD2008, Quail advice, please.

Discussion in 'Quail' started by redhen, Apr 13, 2009.

1. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    [​IMG] I have Texas A&M's. Can i let them live in a colony? and if so..how many male/hen ratio. OR do i need to seperate them into breeding trios? So, i guess what i am asking is....how should i house these guys for breeding? what would you do?
    This is what i have available for Quail housing.(pics below)..plus..i may want to get another breed or 2...[​IMG] what breed do you suggest for meat? Thanks for any help! [​IMG]

This was a freebie i got..its 2x7 and it had a divider to put in the middle..so i am able to have 2 cages if i really need it. right now i have my male A&M's in it.

[​IMG]

This is a house for 2 of my ducks...(dont mind the plastic over the wire..hubby put that there so the ducks would be warmer this winter...its about 4x6, and has a nest box on the end..(the ducks are going into a bigger coop with my others soon so i can use this for quail..maybe?)

[​IMG]

This is where i have my female A&M's...it has an insulated nest area..i put the plexiglass on the top to keep their food dry..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this one is empty now..its about 2x4....how many can live in this?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  2. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:ALL OF THOSE PENS YOU SHOWED You can use for coturnix... and you can have A HUGE amount of birds!!!!! LOTS!!! Im jealous!!! I think you shold either let me live with you OR give me some of your hutches! [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    What would you consider to be a HUGE amount? Just wondering and wanting to do a comparison. [​IMG] Like 20?

4. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:ALL OF THOSE PENS YOU SHOWED You can use for coturnix... and you can have A HUGE amount of birds!!!!! LOTS!!! Im jealous!!! I think you shold either let me live with you OR give me some of your hutches! [​IMG] [​IMG]

LOL...you can come live here anytime! bring all your birdies! [​IMG] So..how should i house them? in a colony? or breeding trios/quads? AND...whats a good BIG quail breed for meat? thanks! [​IMG]

5. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    sorry guys we went out to look at some streams for this weekend for fishin im back tho lol!

Anywhoo... by large amount, I mean 20+ [​IMG] I can house about 30 easily in my rabbit hutch and sorry I forget the demensions off hand but by the look of yours redhen i'd say yes 20+. [​IMG]

I'd say probably of 1 roo and 5 hens per roo, i'd say you could easily do 2 roos and 10 hens [​IMG] if not more if more though you'd want to add an extra roo...

6. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Jumbo browns are great for meat as well. Honestly those are the two mains A & M and Jumbo Brown, everything else is pretty small *pharoah sized* however theres some I hope to get here soon that are colorful and large. [​IMG] ANd i ohpe to breed all my birds large. Any color can be bred to be jumbo sized just takes time. [​IMG]

7. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    thank you for the help!!!! [​IMG]

8. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:welcome [​IMG]

9. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    so pretty much 1 to 5 is good for all types? also how long does a quail stay fertile after roo is gone? is it like chickens and 3 weeks to a month or do they need to mate every day?

10. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:yeppers, some people seem to think that coturnix colors mean coturnix breeds however it doesnt. [​IMG] Think of ALL coturnix like this... ya know how theres yellow labs, black labs, chocolate labs and supposeldy even fox red and silver labs? They are ALL labs, just different colors. Just like an A & M, and a Jumbo brown, and a tuxedo and a tibetan are ALL the same birds just different color varieties and normally different sizes. [​IMG]

So yeppers what's good for A & M goes for all the colors in coturnix. [​IMG] Now this doesnt ALSO go for button quail.

Min: 1 roo per 3 hens (but you can do less but risk issues)
    Max: 1 roo per 5 hens (you could do more but risk fertility issues)

I think 2 weeks? (fertility) however I can't say for certainty as i've not had that issue yet.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by