Monday mopping surprise! Ew!

Sara Ranch

Songster
Jun 7, 2017
Yep, it's Monday. And on Mondays, I throw out all of the shavings, sweep, vacuum, and then MOP. I also dust and rearrange things a bit. (The chicks and the ducks were staying in the sunroom.

Last Sunday - outside temps were 128. Yesterday outside temps were 122. Not a big deal. Their sunroom doesn't get out of the 80's. Open screened windows and a fan as needed to keep the temps down.

Last week, the door was open during the day - which helped with the next level training. The chickens moved to the coop over the weekend. The ducks have been spending all day outside. (Part of duck training - getting them comfortable outside.)

Today I am cleaning. Swept the shavings up. Scrapped the hard gunk off the floor. And found worms. Worms UNDER the hard gunk that I had to scrape up. Yuk!! Found a batch in the chicken side -- in the middle of the area, closer to the food side. Found a single one (pic included) on the duck side. There have been a LOT of flies in the room the last few days. I figured the heat and the open door had a something to do with that.

There are no worms in the chicken or the duck droppings. Food is from Tractor Supply - organic chick feed, as well as greens from the garden. Now that the chicks are in the coop at night, they are eating just bugs and plants. Their poop is still free of visible worms.

I'm thinking -- hoping -- it's fly larvae and not something to worry about. My vacuum cleaner only sucked up about 5 flies. I don't think the vacuum cleaner was trying very hard. *tsk tsk*

Opinions? And no, I am not getting rid of the vacuum cleaner. :) Just need to figure how to prevent "worms" from being around. Since the cleaning once a week wasn't enough...Suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_2537.JPG
    IMG_2537.JPG
    481.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2536.JPG
    IMG_2536.JPG
    530.2 KB · Views: 5

Georgia Chickens

In the Brooder
Jun 7, 2017
New member here. But, have had much issues w/feed for dogs, parrots, & now chickens. Got (5) 4 week old chicks, & hubby bought food/feed for them from Tractor Supply. Had feed for about 5 days, poured into feeder, & found webbing w/feed stuck together like on a string. Immediately put feed into freezer. Will leave it there for at least a month. When I feed them, I sprinkle DE (Diatomacous Earth) onto food, just in case.
I know they will eat the worms. Mine have actually fought over worms from garden & compost worms that look just like the ones in your pics. They will try to take your arm off for a June Bugs.

Sara Ranch

Songster
Jun 7, 2017
Lol - I was told they were fly larvae and to let the chicks and ducks eat them. I have no problem picking cabbage worms off the broccoli and bringing those guys in for the birds, but this was somehow different, ya know?

I put apple cider vinegar in the water. Garlic and oregano in the shavings and food. Now that I have the chicken coop occupied, I will be adding DE, eggshells (finely crushed), and wood ash to the mix (bedding).

Wish the ducks and chicks would eat the stink bugs! :) They try it and spit it out. Not that I blame them...

Top Bottom