1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Monday Morning Surprise

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Western Chick, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Western Chick

Western Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Western MN
    [​IMG]

I'm not too sure how this happened, I must have set a few eggs and not written it down. I know I set some the beginning of February but they were all thrown out due to wild temperature fluctuations in the 'bator. I had been candling these but had it in my mind that they were due next weekend. I was pretty sure they weren't going to hatch because I hadn't added water for a good two weeks- humidity was at a constant 16% all through the incubation. I was still trying to get the temperature to stabilize.

You can imagine my surprise when I heard the peeps coming from the basement this morning. Yes, they were still in the egg turner and it was running. Three of the four eggs had hatched and number four (the egg in the front) had just pipped- still waiting on that one.

I'm pretty sure these are mutt chicks. Daddy is a Blue Orpington though so it's possible I've got a couple little blue orps in there. [​IMG]

2. Hens_And_Chicks

Hens_And_Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Ohio
    What a fun surprise. Poor little peepers - they had to work on that positioning and pipping with that turner still going.

Yay for little surprises!

3. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

wow! [​IMG] thats a fantastic story, what a surprise for you, huh? Congrats!

4. chickens4me

chickens4me Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    South Carolina
    That's a Great Surprise! I had no idea chicks could hatch with such low humidity.

Congratulations. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. L*A*G*

L*A*G* Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    planet chicken
    WOW! what a superise!

6. Western Chick

Apr 17, 2008
    Western MN
    Quote:Me neither! Like I said, I had pretty much written them off- temperature fluctuations were wild. As if I'm going to throw out an egg that looks like it might be developing though!

I'm thinking these are some pretty tough little chickies!

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Cute surprise! Good thing they didnt get caught up in it.

8. aberfitch

aberfitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas Fort Worth
    since the egg turners were still working. I am glad the babies were not hurt by them.

9. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    Where theres a will, theres a way.

great job you fiesty chickies!

10. Western Chick

Apr 17, 2008
    Western MN
    Quote:Me too! The first thing I did was unplug the darned thing. Once it's off it's not an issue is it? I didn't want to disturb the last egg to take the turner out.

Of course, I just took the turner apart and disinfected it and now they're going to get hatching goo all over it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by