1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Monday Wazine Wednesday still no worms

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Phyll'sFarmFamily, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Phyll'sFarmFamily

Phyll'sFarmFamily Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2007
    Old Church, Virginia
    I have 7 chickens between 4 mos and 8 1/2 yrs. I have never wormed them and had just been using DE, until finding a long worm in a poo.

Sunday night I took away their water. Monday morning I gave them 1 oz Wazine in 1 gal water. I also gave them their crumbles mixed with water (I do that every morning) and yogurt and later just the crumbles.That was the only water that they had until bedtime that night when I took it away and put fresh water out on Tuesday morning. Tuesday I gave them crumbles with yogurt and applesauce. As of today (Wed) I haven't seen any worms. All over their yard I did notice what looks like the casing from around a new feather that has been preened.

When should I start to see worms? Could the Wazine have been too old? If they have never been wormed shouldn't there be worms?
    When should I worm them again? Should I use new Wazine then fenbendazole in 2 weeks or just wait the 2 weeks and use fenbendazole?

2. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    dead worms are as obvious as live ones. They may be there you just might not be able to see them. You can always take a poo sample to the vet and let them look.

3. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Some worms will never be seen after a deworming. Round worms are passed out but cecal and tapeworms are just absorbed by the body. If you are not seeing any dead worms it just means that your birds did not have roundworms or very many.

4. Phyll'sFarmFamily

May 20, 2007
    Old Church, Virginia
    I am soooo confused! I thought that if you saw a worm that they were heavily infested? The one that I saw was like "capillini" or like a long string in the poo. Would you just go ahead and use a broad spectrum in 2 weeks?

5. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Yes that is true of roundworms. I am confused too that you are not seeing any in the poo by now. Wazine is for roundworms. Are the birds confined enough that you would have seen all poos? I would follow the directions on the wazine and repeat as instructed. Maybe someone else on here might suggest something different. I can only speak for myself and with this deworming, I would stick with the wazine. I have only used wazine myself and have been pleased with the results.

6. Phyll'sFarmFamily

May 20, 2007
    Old Church, Virginia
    The chickens have been confined in their yard or coop. I was re-grading their yard (good thing too with all the rain from the tropical storm) so I was with them the whole time checking each one. They have been inside their house the past 2+ days and I have looked at every poo that they have made. I clean the house up daily and there has been nothing. I even used a magnifying glass just in case there were tiny ones. :/Yuk!!! I was dreading having to clean up the dead worms and now I'm searching for them. That's pretty sad!!

I'll get a new bottle of Wazine and reworm them just in case the bottle I have wasn't any good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by