Money Selling Chicks??

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by MissouriMike, Jan 7, 2013.

1. MissouriMike

MissouriMike New Egg

Jan 7, 2013
    Iberia,Missouri
    I live in Central Missouri and i have a small flock of 10 Hens right now. Some Buff Orpingtons, Rhode Island Reds, and Plymouth Rocks.
    I would like to incubate and hatch about 10-20 to keep, but id also like to hatch about 30-40 for selling.
    Should I sell them right after hatching or at 4-6 weeks of age or somewhere in that are?
    I was wondering what a resonable price would be?
    And if there would be any sense in hatching more than the 30-40 test chicks?[​IMG]
    There is a swap meet every spring not too far from here and i could take them to sell there. im not looking to make a fortune but i would like to cover my costs.
    Any suggestions and info would be greatly appreciated!!!![​IMG]

2. maidenwolfx80

maidenwolfx80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    Hi, I am in MO too south of harrisonville.
    I sell mine at all ages. Just hatched I price them at $2 for common types. As they grow and get older you want to factor in feed cost and add that to your price.
    Put an add on craigslist and there are also a couple swap sites on Facebook that people post for sale farm and animal items.

1 person likes this.
  3. MissouriMike

MissouriMike New Egg

Jan 7, 2013
    Iberia,Missouri
    Thanks for the reply!!!! I want to start hatching some as soon as my hens start laying again. i would start now but no eggs! There is a swap meet by versailles missouri every april and i was to take some chicks up there to sell but idk if i should take a few to start or just jump right in and take a whole bunch and sell them at $4-5 a piece for the youngest and $6-8 for 4-6 week old chicks. I just dont know and i dont want to waste my time and money.

4. maidenwolfx80

maidenwolfx80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    I think that is alittle steep. Especially for an unnamed, if you will, breeder. I wouldnt pay that much for a chick at all. There are some breeds obviously that are more expensive than others but if you start too high of a price you will have a hard time selling. My girls are laying around 6 a day but I am going to go ahead and hatch anyway for a couple orders, once everybody picks up laying I will be able to really get going. I figured I will continue selling thru orders for this summer while I build other pens to hold a large amount of chicks. I just dont like the idea of a bunch of strange people coming to buy chicks at my house constatly. You run the risk of other people bringing in disease on their shoes and other greedy people visiting while you are not around..

5. MissouriMike

MissouriMike New Egg

Jan 7, 2013
    Iberia,Missouri
    I see a lot of adds on craigslist for my area for pullets 4-6 weeks old for $6-8. So i figured id do a little lower than that. But ill probably go lower i just wanna make enough to make it worth it and pay for feed for a couple moths
    Ive seen a lot of people posting on here about their girls laying 6+ eggs a day and correct me if im wrong but that isnt per chicken right? If it is per chicken please tell me your tricks! Haha

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by