money's tight... out of feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Ravishaw, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Ravishaw

Ravishaw Songster

May 7, 2010
    so... we're down to food storage 'till my next big commission check.

We have lots of off-feed type food for our little pullets, but I wanted to ask if the ground up pasta/squash/egg shells/other stuff we eat (free from mold) would give them enough nutrients until I can go get a bag of feed for them.

They're free-ranging (or at least I leave the door open for them to head out into the yard and free range... the choice is up to them), and I know there are juicy crickets, spiders and other bugs out in the yard for them to eat.

2. burquechick

burquechick Songster

Jun 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    Probably. My friend from Thailand says they only feed chickens rice. They are mostly free range though..

3. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

for a very short time, maybe. How long a time span are you referring to?

4. suburbanminifarm

suburbanminifarm Songster

Jul 29, 2009
    N.San Diego County
    Do you have dry dog food? Soaked in water till soft, it's a tasty and nutritious food for them. Along with free-ranging, they should be fat and happy.

5. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

I dont feed in the summer months. They free range 24/7 and do just fine. [​IMG]

6. Keri78

Keri78 Songster

Oct 17, 2009
    NJ
    My grandmom(89yrs.) says that growing up on a farm they only fed cracked corn and their chickens free ranged and they survived just fine. Also...just a thought but dog food is high in protein and my girls are constantly stealing dog food...I think they actually prefer it! The "real food" probably has much more to offer anyway. I feed mine a mix of feeds but they also free range and I have been in your shoes and they survived just fine for a few days. Don't worry.[​IMG]

7. Ravishaw

Ravishaw Songster

May 7, 2010
    ya this might be more like a month or so... comission checks come 30 days after a good month... so commission check i'll get the end of the month won't be very big.

8. Keri78

Keri78 Songster

Oct 17, 2009
    NJ
    WOW!!! Chickenista!!![​IMG] I sooo wish I could go a couple of months with no feed bill! Unfortunately to make that happen would mean that I have to stop buying and hatching out baby chicks!!![​IMG] "Chick Starter" is EXPENSIVE!!![​IMG] Especially when you keep getting more chicks!!!![​IMG]

9. Keri78

Keri78 Songster

Oct 17, 2009
    NJ
    How old are your pullets? If their young you want to be sure they are getting enough protein. I'm liking the soaked dogfood idea...I think you could easily make that stretch a month.[​IMG]

10. Ravishaw

Ravishaw Songster

May 7, 2010
    as it is they turn their little noses up at just about anything I offer them (for a while). I'm hoping that if the feed disappears out of their little coops they'll venture out into the yard a bit more and start acting like built-in pest control.

Not that I'd never feed them but I like to see chickens scratching, looking and pecking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by