Mongrel breeds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Grenadianexpat, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Grenadianexpat

Grenadianexpat Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2010
    Grenada W.I.
    Hi,

I seem to be getting on with the management and getting eggs and chicks, but have no real idea as to what I am achieving.

To explain, Boss lady wanted what is locally known as common breed or yard fowl for meat, because of problems with getting them for a while, we ended up with a dozen layer chicks first.

The Cockerel which is quite a handsome looking common breed is not restricting his advances to just the common breed fowl.

So my question is, Is there actually a Cockerel specific to the "Layers", or will the genes of the layers make the next generation layers too, regardless of the actual breed of the Cock.

I guess the same question would relate to broiler fowl.

Thanks muchly.

2. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

What breeds are you talking about, when you say layers?

Chicks carry genes from both parents, the hen and the rooster.

3. Grenadianexpat

Grenadianexpat Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2010
    Grenada W.I.
    The "Layers" are commercially bread chicks from Barbados that are just known locally as Layers, as that is all they do, they have had broodiness bread out of them, they drop and go. They are a good sized pullet with a mostly rich brown coat, other than that I don't have a clue.

The same with the "Common Breed" or Yard fowl as they are called, they are presumably the left overs of none selective breeding from years ago. They run wild or stay within the confines of fenced land, but normally..... not in my case, but normally fend for themselves.

So to get back to my original question, then if one wanted to maintain the "pure bread" layer what ever breed that is, one would have to find out what breed it was and get a Cock to suit. The common breed cock will just dilute the breed.

OK. Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by