Monkey...um I mean ROOSTER on my back

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by FisherMOM, Jul 27, 2008.

1. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    Oh my silly Rusty. The kids, I mean chickens are in their unfinished coop and Midnight insists on jumping on my shoulder each night, inside the coop. 2 nights ago.. Rusty was jealous so he jumped on my head while she was on my shoulder. I wear my hair in a bun sometimes, and happed to have it in a bun this night.

Last night he jumped on a swinging roost next to us. (which, by the way, I have since removed from the coop)

Tonight.. AFTER Midnight was removed from my shoulder, by me... Rusty jumped on my back while I was bent over working on a piece of cardboard to cover some of my stuff to keep it free of chicken poo.

That silly bird stayed on my back for a good 5 minutes talking up a storm until I was done doing what I had to do, and managed to reach back and remove him myself. He doesn't try to peck me or spur me, he just want to be on me like Midnight, I guess. Time will tell. He is a year old and I think he is aware that I am alpha roo. I held him for a while when I got a hold of him.. just to let him know who was boss.

He kinda rumbles when I let him go. Not sure if it';s a growl or he is trying to give me the "stink-eye'" lol ( thanks Wolf-Kim for that term! [​IMG] )

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Rusty wouldn't be spoiled rotten now would he? [​IMG]

3. FisherMOM

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    oh, I try RR. He is just so cool. I will have issues in a month or so I think though... I believe that My RIR is a rooster. Docile for now.. but alas.. things will change. (not with me, I won't let Rose get nasty with me.. I am afraid for Rusty)

4. Aneesa's Muse

Aneesa's Muse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Rusty is one handsome roo ..for sure! How could you ever deny him a shoulder ..err, back... ride?? [​IMG]

My Ben loves to ride on my shoulder, too ...but little "PV" (short for "p!$$ 'n vinegar") is learning to jockey the shoulder, as well ...so I think there's gonna be some competition soon enough. Good thing she's a girl! [​IMG]

5. FisherMOM

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    Thanks annesasmuse....

I think you may end up with one on the shoulder and one on the head, like me! lol.... it is funny.. as long as the one on your head has no poop on their feet!

6. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Every time I bend over to pick raspberries I wind up with 75% of my flock on my back (3 of 4).

Can't wait to see what happens the next time I weed out there.

7. FisherMOM

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    LOL... be happy they are not turkeys I guess! [​IMG]

8. Aneesa's Muse

Jun 8, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Quote:Funny you should mention this ...Ben is so spoiled, he gets a ride down off the roost in the mornings and this particular morning, he didn't just want to get a lift ...but he wanted a snuggle and cuddle, too

...and then I smelled "it" [​IMG] That stinker boy had fresh "icky" poo all over one of his feet and then all over the front of my fresh white tee!! [​IMG]

Nothing beats a Turkey poo'ing on your head, though ...nothing!

9. FisherMOM

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    so...do they wipe their beak on your shirt too when they jump up there? Midnight does, almost every time.

She preens herself most times as well.

10. Aneesa's Muse

Jun 8, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    PV likes to preen me, but she's just a little baby Black Star ..about 2-3 weeks, I'd guess.

Ben sits up there and preens himself ..then me ...then himself some more ...then me some more [​IMG] He MUST wipe his face on me ..even if he's just passing by ...he'll come over and wipe his face on my leg or whatever he can reach. He and I have discussed his thinking on my "napkin status" ..but he's a little set in his ways [​IMG]

Btw, do you have any idea what Rusty's breed is comprised of? He is one of the prettiest roos I have ever, ever seen!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by