Monogomous Rooster?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pixiechick, Jul 30, 2008.

1. pixiechick

pixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Jonesborough, TN
    I only have five chickens. It's hard to imagine that few would break into cliques, but that seems to be the deal. My Polish rooster, Garth, seems to only have a place in his heart for my dimunitive silkie, Buffy. He chases the other three EE hens away. The two groups even sleep on opposite end of the coop. Is this common?[​IMG]

2. pixiechick

May 23, 2008
    Jonesborough, TN
    Anyone? [​IMG]

3. goldensunriseranch

goldensunriseranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Mays Landing NJ
    Awww, that sounds so sweet! But hard to get your other girls fertile that way. I've had roosters that have had favorites before. I think eventually he'll get over it. She might stay his favorite but I bet he'll warm up to the others eventually.

4. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't think that this is uncommon, however your little silkie may become worn out if he's too amorous. I'd keep an eye on that. I had a roo that I had to get rid of cause he was too rough on the two girls that he liked. The others weren't bothered nearly as much.

Good luck!

5. pixiechick

May 23, 2008
    Jonesborough, TN
    Actually, he doesn't bother Buffy in that way. He mothers her. She's sort of a case of arrested developement. She doesn't even cluck yet. She was Garth's faithful brooder buddy when he was a very sick chick. Now he takes care of her. I've even seen her try to get under his wings. They are very sweet.

I let all the chickens out to free range in the evening. Garth call Buffy out and shows her the best stuff to eat, but he chases the others back into the run. They think he is a maniac and that hair-do doesn't help anything.[​IMG]

6. goldensunriseranch

goldensunriseranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Mays Landing NJ
    And you're super certain garth is a rooster? Crows and everything? Sounds very maternal. But my blue silkie roo has a mothering instinct too, even lets his offspring climb up on his back when he's laying down and clucks for them to show them where to eat. Too cute.

7. pixiechick

May 23, 2008
    Jonesborough, TN
    Yep, he's a roo. He crows (at least 3 times every minute!)and resembles Rod Stewart. He's seems a little flamboyant, if you know what I mean, so maybe thats where the mothering comes in.

He's the only one of my chickens who absolutely won't stand to be handled, even though I handled him tons when he had crook neck. I still love him though and hope he doesn't turn into one of those psycho roosters I've been reading about on another post.[​IMG]

8. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I have 2 Polish roos, and I find them both very nurturing. Hopefully his hormones will take over his brain, and he will date all the girls.
    I have the opposite, sortof. My Ameraucana hen has always followed my roo around like a puppy dog. At first, she would try everything to get his attention, like constantly walking or standing in front of him. But he had his heart set on my big girls. Eventually, she became his favorite, and now she has a back that's starting to get bare. I hope he likes a gal with duct tape

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by