Monster egg from molting Sex Link

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Katydid2011, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Katydid2011

Katydid2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    West Coast USA
    With all of the talk about how poorly hens seem to be laying this winter, I thought I'd share an egg laid by my poor molting Black Sex Link hen, Juliette. This morning, I watched her settle her heavily quilled, scantily feathered body in a nest and waited to see if she was really going to lay. Sure enough, I heard the egg land! She stood up and looked between her eggs and I swear it was awe I saw on her face. :0)

I'd love to see or hear about hens that ARE laying through the winter and perhaps even through molts like my Juliette. I feel like celebrating our girls!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Well, whatdoyaknow?! That's a biggie! [​IMG] And in a full molt.....She must be a super chicken!

3. Katydid2011

Apr 22, 2011
    West Coast USA
    Quote:I told her to take a rest for heaven's sake, she looks awful, but it seems she's an egg machine. :0)

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Quote:I told her to take a rest for heaven's sake, she looks awful, but it seems she's an egg machine. :0)

Hmmm could she be on steriods? [​IMG]

5. Katydid2011

Apr 22, 2011
    West Coast USA

Hmmm could she be on steriods? [​IMG]

LOL!

6. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    How many yolks in that egg???

7. Katydid2011

Apr 22, 2011
    West Coast USA
    Quote:Three yolks! It's a full omelet in one egg. [​IMG]

8. chookhead

chookhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    wow thats amazing but i have a girl that ahsnt moulted in like 2 yrs her feathers look horible and she lays eggs all the time like its amazing any spike in her diet such as excess sugars or energry make her doible yolk lol its cool but does anyone noe how to make them moult

9. Katydid2011

Apr 22, 2011
    West Coast USA
    Quote:To force a molt, I think you need to dramatically cut down the amount of light that a bird gets in a 24 hour period. I know that commercial egg factories will deprive hens of daylight and feed to force a molt and get it over with quickly. It seems a bit barbaric to me. I'm wondering instead why your hen isn't molting - if there's a problem that can be remedied. (?) My hen, Juliette, who is laying while in full molt is only 10-months old. I've never seen a hen that young molt that hard. I'm giving her tons of protein but it seems like she won't recover her feathers properly unless she stops laying, which would be fine with me.

I wish I could be more helpful with regard to your hen that won't molt. [​IMG]

10. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Wow, three yolks! That's an absolute whopper! [​IMG]
    Congratulations on getting that one, I guess the chickens are full of surprises. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by