Monster egg!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Agilityscots, Dec 29, 2007.

1. Agilityscots

Agilityscots Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2007
    Central Ohio
    I got an ENORMOUS egg from one of my girls today: 2.7 ounces! USDA jumbo, according to the website, is 2.5 ounces!! The others are in the range of 1.5-1.7 ounces. I have no idea who laid it, but geez, it looked painful. Anyone else ever get eggs this big?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Amy

2. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    Yup! A double-yolker for sure!
    We average about one every five or six days.
    [​IMG]

3. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    WOW!!! Poor girl. That must have hurt!

4. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    My White Pekin that gets egg bound laid a 4 yolk egg after her last "binding" incident. I felt so bad for her!!!

5. Agilityscots

Jun 9, 2007
    Central Ohio
    Mudhen: yep, I'm hoping...we haven't had a double-yolker yet! I can't wait to crack it open and see. My mom told me that someone who "used to raise chickens" (you know how that goes) said that double-yolkers mean a hen is nearing the end of her laying days. I know this cannot be true since my girls are six months old and I know many others have reported lots of double-yolkers!

Inayasha: that's the first thing I thought, too. OUCH.

Amy

6. Agilityscots

Jun 9, 2007
    Central Ohio
    Quote:Oh good Lord! How did you get her "unbound"?

Amy

7. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico

Amy

When she gets bound I warm up a blanket in the dryer and hold her in my lap massaging her abdomen and the surrounding area. I was told to give her liquid calcium and tried that,, she wasn't cooperative, someone else said try mineral oil around her vent, I think she was insulted. The shell didn't harden completely on that egg, it was pretty soft when it moved down. As soon as it started showing I was able to kind of pinch the end together and slowly pull it out, but it took so long and she was so patient! She gets bound up ever few weeks, but since that instance it hasn't happened again and she's laying like a Gatling gun!

8. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Since it is abnormally large for yours, I would assume a double yolker.

My Australorps always lay Jumbo(2.5-2.75 ounces) and what I call super jumbos(2.75+ ounces), not double yolkers.

I had one girl, Raven, that always laid 3+ ounce eggs. She prolapsed this year and had to be put down. She also had a broke egg in her and had egg white running out of her. Her daughter(Baby Raven), which hatched 2 weeks before the incident, has started to lay. Her pullet eggs are 2 ounce, large, eggs.

Matt
    Morganton, NC

Last edited: Dec 29, 2007
  9. Agilityscots

Jun 9, 2007
    Central Ohio
    Quote:Yikes, well let's hope this isn't a sign of future problems to come, whether it's prolapsing or being eggbound! Sorry to hear about your girl.

Amy

10. Agilityscots

Jun 9, 2007
    Central Ohio

Amy

When she gets bound I warm up a blanket in the dryer and hold her in my lap massaging her abdomen and the surrounding area. I was told to give her liquid calcium and tried that,, she wasn't cooperative, someone else said try mineral oil around her vent, I think she was insulted. The shell didn't harden completely on that egg, it was pretty soft when it moved down. As soon as it started showing I was able to kind of pinch the end together and slowly pull it out, but it took so long and she was so patient! She gets bound up ever few weeks, but since that instance it hasn't happened again and she's laying like a Gatling gun!

Thanks for sharing...good to know that there's a trick for this, in case it ever happens here!

Amy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by