Monster egg!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kathleengp, May 17, 2010.

1. kathleengp

kathleengp Songster

Sep 6, 2009
    Imagine my shock when I opened the nestbox!! Here it is in my hand.....dinner for 4!!

[​IMG]

And by placing the narrow end in I was able to push it into an egg carton. The eggs to the left and in front of it are very large size eggs. The 2 white ones are small bantam eggs.

[​IMG]

Laid by a Red Star.....who miraculously seems to be walking fine......

2. redturtle

redturtle Songster

Apr 3, 2010
    stanardsville, va
    lol...it does sound like a miracle that she is walking a-ok....holy thats a whopper!

3. Gonzo

Gonzo Songster

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    Ouch! One of our Australorps did that last year.... She didn't lay again for almost 3 weeks!

4. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    Are you sure that an ostrich didn't sneak into your hen house? [​IMG]

5. WOAH!!!!! That's awesome!!! It's so big it makes your hand look like a child's!! [​IMG]

Did she make a lot of noise while she was laying? [​IMG]

Very cool. thank you for posting. [​IMG]

6. kathleengp

kathleengp Songster

Sep 6, 2009
    She was very quiet, actually. I am waiting to see how long it takes for her to lay again - I think she deserves a few days off!

I haven't opened the egg yet - it's got to be at least multiple yolks. In one issue of BY Poultry mag, there was a pic of a huge egg like this and it turned out to be an egg WITHIN an egg! So we'll see :) I have to finish taking pics first - lol.

7. SmartyChick

SmartyChick An Official Milkmaid

Oct 19, 2009
    Sullivan County NY
    [​IMG] [​IMG] my aussies usually lay those eggs, but a red star??? The poor thing.
    Someone deserves a can of mealworms today!

8. Really?? An egg within an egg? That's crazy!!

When you crack it open, be sure to post pics here so we can see what's inside!! [​IMG]

SmartyChick, what is an aussie? Is it an australorp, or something else? Sorry if it's a dumb question. [​IMG]

9. buffbeauty

buffbeauty Songster

May 13, 2010
    Central Arkansas
    No! No! Hatch it! It'll be Arnold Schwartzachicken!!

10. Bantimna

Bantimna Songster

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Quote:x 2 and lots of treats!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by