Monster of an egg...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Maggies Farm, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Maggies Farm

Maggies Farm New Egg

Jan 25, 2015
    Northern California
    One of my chickens laid an enormous egg this morning. The top egg in the picture is the average size that my girls usually lay. The monster egg is over 3 inches long and it has much more of an oblong shape to it. Is this some random monster egg laying or perhaps something I should expect from one of my breeds that I was unaware of?
    [​IMG]

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    There can be other things but that is almost certainly a double yolked egg. The hen’s internal egg-making factory messed up and started two yolks at the same time instead of one. That occasionally happens and is not that big a deal. That has nothing to do with breed, one of your hens just hickuped at the wrong time.

3. mg15

mg15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2012
    Hi,
    How much does the egg weigh. ??
    That is how I can tell if it Jumbo or Extra Large.

4. Maggies Farm

Maggies Farm New Egg

Jan 25, 2015
    Northern California
    Double yolk? Cool. I'll check it out when I'm ready to crack it open for my next omelette. Thanks for letting me know :) and @mg15 I haven't weighed it, but that's a good idea too. Thanks for your responses.

-Maggie

5. Mojo12

Mojo12 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2014
    Hi! I'm kind of new to this chicken stuff. Last spring I bought tiny little peepers of different types and grew them big in a tub in my guest room. Built an 8x8 coop and an 8x8 run for them and when they started escaping and pooping in the guest room I put them outside. They grew and grew and finally started laying. At first every other egg was double yoked. Then they settled down and the double yoked egg is very rare now, nearly a year later. But about a month after they began laying, I got two GINORMOUS, HUMOUNGUS eggs...like yours. I, too, took photos of them, and I show them to everyone. They were HUGE. I still get the occasional jumbo egg, but most are regular sized now, some are large. I only have 7 hens. I still haven't figured out who lays which eggs. I generally get anywhere from 3 to 6 eggs per day, with the occasional gust of 7 eggs. Three or four are what the grocery store sells as "jumbo", most of the rest are large or regular, but the lighter colored ones are on the small side.
    In other words, I have no idea what the answer is, but I'll take what I get. The giant eggs were kinda cool, though, and since I work with a guy who has a couple of hens, we often compare eggs. So far, I'm the winner. LOL

6. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

I always cringe at the sight of those eggs, thinking about those poor girls who laid them...

7. Nedw3

Nedw3 Out Of The Brooder

I had a hen lay a 3 oz egg the other day. I was shocked when I opened the nest box and found it, I started looking for the duck that must be in there (I don't have ducks). [​IMG]

8. mg15

mg15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2012
    WOW !

9. ClaireCI

ClaireCI Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2014
    Jersey, Channel Islands
    Impressive!

10. Maggies Farm

Maggies Farm New Egg

Jan 25, 2015
    Northern California
    yup it was a double yolk and it was delicious! :) Thanks to everyone for commenting :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by