1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Montessori experiences / opinions please

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by mylittlezoo, Dec 3, 2009.

1. mylittlezoo

mylittlezoo Poppy Creek Farm

Mar 16, 2009
    GA
    I'm looking for any feedback, opinions or experiences - good and bad - that people are prepared to share regarding Montessori schools and teachings.

What I'm not looking for is a heated debate on the private / public schools options, mud-slinging or name-calling about people who choose one over the other - feel free to have substantiated opinions though! [​IMG]

I'm just investigating the options. Suffice to say, the education system over here (particularly in our state, GA) is wildly different to where I'm from and I'm just looking around to see what's available, following a discussion with my husband over private vs. public vs. homeschooling.

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I'm not sure i understand what they are...
    what are they? [​IMG]

3. Sallyschickens

Sallyschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    Puget Sound Baby!
    Hi, I've been a certified Montessori teacher since 1992. I went to one as a child and my older sister owned and taught a Montessori school that I worked as a teenager in the summers. My own daughter went to one until she was in the 7th grade.

Make sure you check out the school, the admin and the teachers. Ask to observe the classrooms for a while during different times of day. I have seen wonderful Montessori schools and sadly (I hate to admit it) some not so wonderful schools. P.M. me if you would like. [​IMG]

If you find a nice Montessori school your children will get a fantastic education. The best, in my opinion.

Good luck to you!
    -Sally

4. shawnkfl

shawnkfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    christiansburg, VA
    I can only comment in my experience. I was a Montessori Teacher/Director in a Montessori School for 7 years. At our Montessori School we only went up to the age level of Kindergarten for all day programs and had afterschool care for school age. I think the program of the Montessori I worked at was great. The kids did very well and from what I could tell in the years after they benefited greatly. It is very structured and the kids learned at their own pace. Again it is my own experience and my own daughter at the school until she was 4 when we moved. I have not had experiences with other Montessori's that actually have school aged children all day, so I really wouldn't be able to comment on that. Just thought I would tell you that my experience with the Montessori my daughter went to and I worked at was a positive one.

5. Sallyschickens

Mar 30, 2009
    Puget Sound Baby!
  6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    How is it different than a regular school?

7. mylittlezoo

Mar 16, 2009
    GA
    Quote:I'd love to hear the answer to this from a teacher / former student.....

8. mylittlezoo

Mar 16, 2009
    GA
    I've read this on the website and similar on a couple of others. But as a teacher, someone inside the actual ways of Montessori, how do YOU feel it differs?

9. Sallyschickens

Mar 30, 2009
    Puget Sound Baby!
    Sorry I hit submit before I could type anything else...

If you can find a good one that stays true to the philosophy, your child will get a very spiritual (not necessarily religious), peaceful hands on education. They will learn (at a very early age) all about the continents of the world, other cultures, geography, adding-multiplication, algebra (yup!), geometry; plane and solid geometric forms etc., art, spelling/reading and handwriting...all before they turn 6. Not to mention, independence skills like sewing, cleaning, pet care, gardening and cooking. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by