1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Montgomery Incubator?? Need any info possible!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by erijn5, Feb 6, 2012.

1. erijn5

erijn5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    South Central IL
    I just inherited a Montgomery Ward Incubator: 45LZ-3697A Anyone know what yr it is....How much it would be worth?
    [​IMG]
    I have had it on all day and it works great, I'm so excited to try it out!! [​IMG]

Thanks!!

2. erijn5

May 8, 2008
    South Central IL
    Oh yeah, it is one drawer, with no fan, or place to put water. They have an icecube tray in there, I do not feel that is safe to in there for baby chicks to maybe fall in, any suggestions for an item I can set in there for humidity? Thanks

3. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Just put a wire screen over the ice cube tray.

I don't know the model just by the stock number. Is that one of the wooden incubators?

4. erijn5

May 8, 2008
    South Central IL

Yes it is one of the wooden ones...I will try to get pics tomorrow!!! That sounds good I will put that over the tray I was just worried about the sharp edges.. [​IMG]

5. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    one of those made in 50s or before.....think buckeye made those for montgomery Ward and sears..they did work great...just had to hand turn the eggs

6. erijn5

May 8, 2008
    South Central IL
    Here it is...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With this do I need to turn the eggs 2 or 3 times a day?

7. deerman

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    4 time would be better...but most working people due with 3 time. when the get up, after getting home from work ,just before going to bed

8. RHRanch

RHRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

3 times or 5 times, reason is if you turn an uneven number of times, the eggs don't spend 2 consecutive nights on the same side.

9. deerman

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    guess really depend on how long a person sleeps.......myself 6 hours so eggs get turned every 6 hours.

the reason for turning eggs is so the yolk doesn't stick to the side of the shell. so best if you can keep the eggs turning time about the same.

turning them no matter how many time doesn't help if you let them set 12hours overnight.

odd number does help the night ,if a person sleep more than 8 hour...but still 12 hours would be to long.

every 8 hrs. every 6 hrs ,most auto turner its every 4 hrs. imo never more than 8 hr on one side.

10. deerman

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    like to add i don't think it has a fan...so if no fan temp. top of egg 101...if it has a fan temp. 99.5

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by