Month-ish old runt chick is gasping intermittently

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FowlWitch, Jul 21, 2019.

1. FowlWitch

FowlWitch Songster

Jun 11, 2019
    California
    I'm having a hard time catching a video, so for now I'll just describe the issue until I have a chance to record her.

Basically, I noticed yesterday she gasps intermittently with her eyes squinted. She had coccidiosis during her first week, but I treated her and she seemed to have made a full recovery. She's still bright eyed, running around, eating and drinking. I think she may have gotten into my duckling's water, though (where they clean their beaks), so I'm suspecting she may have an issue with her crop? The way she's gasping looks very similar to the way my hens were gasping a little while back when they had sour crop from drinking muddy, poopy rain puddles.

Is my chick too young for acidified copper? What other symptoms should I be looking for in order to diagnose her? I plan on checking her crop when I get home from work tonight, sometime around 2 am.

Any advice is appreciated.

RhodeIslandRed5 likes this.
  2. RhodeIslandRed5

RhodeIslandRed5 Songster

May 28, 2019
    East Texas
    Texas Kiki and FowlWitch like this.
  3. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki TwatterSpotter

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    She could just be adjusting her crop.
    What type of bedding do you have in the cage?
    Could she be eating it?

Have you had any respiratory illness in your flock?

FowlWitch and RhodeIslandRed5 like this.
  4. RhodeIslandRed5

RhodeIslandRed5 Songster

May 28, 2019
    East Texas
    Yeah, chicks will eat little bits of shavings if that is what you're using for bedding. Mine did.....and still do. :idunno Having a small bit of grit helps aid digestion.

boggart and FowlWitch like this.
  5. FowlWitch

FowlWitch Songster

Jun 11, 2019
    California
    No respiratory issues in the rest of my flock. The bedding is big, chunky pine shavings from tractor supply, and I'm pretty sure the pieces are too large to eat. Hopefully all she's doing is adjusting her crop because she's my favorite chick (and my only svart hona)

RhodeIslandRed5 likes this.
  6. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    If you can get that on video it would be helpful.

7. FowlWitch

FowlWitch Songster

Jun 11, 2019
    California
    Yeah, I tried today but she stopped as soon as I started recording. I'm going to try again tomorrow

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  8. FowlWitch

FowlWitch Songster

Jun 11, 2019
    California
    Texas Kiki likes this.
  9. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    How old is the little one?
    Maybe too hot? I would make sure there is chick grit available and that she's drinking well. Check her crop to see that it's emptying. It can be hard to gauge crop function in chicks especially if they are eating/drinking at all hours with a light on.

If it continues, then separate her out for several hours for observation with water only. Place her on puppy pads so you can get a good look at her poop and feel that the crop is emptying some.

Texas Kiki and FowlWitch like this.
  10. FowlWitch

FowlWitch Songster

Jun 11, 2019
    California
    I need to double check her hatch date, but she's between 3 to 4 weeks old (the same age as the other chicks -not the ducklings- in the video). She isn't feathering out as well as they are, but that may be due to breed. The 2 large chicks are both bielefelders (the male's comb is already getting a red tint).

It's been mid70s to low80s where I live, and they're in a well ventilated and covered coop during the day. I'll measure the temps in the coop tomorrow. I'll try to find some appropriately sized grit for her - is sand okay?

As far as lighting in the chick coop, it's all natural lights. I don't have a light bulb in there, and as far as I can tell, she sleeps the night through. I plan on checking her crop once I get home tonight, which should be around 2 am or so

Texas Kiki and Wyorp Rock like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: