Month-ish old runt chick is gasping intermittently

I've heard people mention brewers yeast on here before. What does it do?
It provides a source of niacin for the ducks. I give them peas and softened kale (freezed then thawed - breaks the cell walls) with watered down chick feed, but I worry they aren't getting enough niacin because they spend a lot of time squatting on the ground. They seem to walk, run, and stand just fine, so I'm hoping they're just lazy.

It provides a source of niacin for the ducks. I give them peas and softened kale (freezed then thawed - breaks the cell walls) with watered down chick feed, but I worry they aren't getting enough niacin because they spend a lot of time squatting on the ground. They seem to walk, run, and stand just fine, so I'm hoping they're just lazy.
:lau When laziness is the desired reason you know the alternative must suck.

Glad they're fitting in well. :) I've got 2 week old chicks I'm trying to integrate with my 3 month olds and they're not having it. The little ones are gonna have to get a lot bigger I think...

How old is the little one?
Maybe too hot? I would make sure there is chick grit available and that she's drinking well. Check her crop to see that it's emptying. It can be hard to gauge crop function in chicks especially if they are eating/drinking at all hours with a light on.

If it continues, then separate her out for several hours for observation with water only. Place her on puppy pads so you can get a good look at her poop and feel that the crop is emptying some.
Okay, so I have poop pics. I'm thinking I didn't dose the Corid correctly :/ it looks like bits of intestine is coming out, like she still has Coccidiosis. Can I get some advice on this?

IMG_20190723_024303869.jpg
IMG_20190723_024311266.jpg

I apologize for the bad framing on these pics. It was too dark to see

Edit: Forgot to add context - she and a group of other chicks developed coccidiosis their first week (diagnosis confirmed by necropsy). I thought I had her treated, but I don't think I dosed her properly. I gave half a teaspoon per gallon of water for a week, and I believe that was incorrect. In my defense, I was having a hard time finding info on how to dose week old chicks from Google :( I'd like to try again. It's been a few weeks and she's still alive, so I think I can still rid her of it.

Last edited:
Okay, so I have poop pics. I'm thinking I didn't dose the Corid correctly :/ it looks like bits of intestine is coming out, like she still has Coccidiosis. Can I get some advice on this?

View attachment 1853695 View attachment 1853696

I apologize for the bad framing on these pics. It was too dark to see

Edit: Forgot to add context - she and a group of other chicks developed coccidiosis their first week (diagnosis confirmed by necropsy). I thought I had her treated, but I don't think I dosed her properly. I gave half a teaspoon per gallon of water for a week, and I believe that was incorrect. In my defense, I was having a hard time finding info on how to dose week old chicks from Google :( I'd like to try again. It's been a few weeks and she's still alive, so I think I can still rid her of it.

Yes, I would re-treat with the Corid. The Corid water needs to be the only source of drinking water for the chicks. Don't add any additional electrolytes or vitamins during course of treatment.

Dosage is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon of water. I would give for 7 days.

I hope you that helps, please keep us posted.

Yes, I would re-treat with the Corid. The Corid water needs to be the only source of drinking water for the chicks. Don't add any additional electrolytes or vitamins during course of treatment.

Dosage is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon of water. I would give for 7 days.

I hope you that helps, please keep us posted.

When using cord it doesn't matter the chick's age...
Also always use the full strength like @Wyorp Rock
Posted above.

Thank you for the help guys. Should I seperate my muscovy ducklings while treating with Corid?

Back
Top Bottom