Month old chick always chirping

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jmb213, Mar 26, 2015.

1. jmb213

jmb213 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2013
    Wilton, Ca
    Help needed- we have a 1 month old chick who initially seemed lethargic, so we brought her inside & gave her electrolytes and b12 in her water. After a day she seemed perkier- but she had not stopped chirping for practically 3 days now. She's not eating (except for oranges and syringe water hydration) and is clearly failing to thrive. She has what appears to be "normal" poo (considering she hasn't had solids for a few days). We just started oxytetracycline tonight bc we are at a loss. The poor thing is skin and bones and chirping non stop. She has a heat lamp, good bedding, food and water. Any suggestions?? Thanks in advance!

2. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Chirping could be a couple of things, First is she alone? perhaps she is in desparate need of a companion. Second it could be something internally causing her lots of pain.

Is there a reason for the antibotics? Could she have worms? Worms will make them very skinny. try soaking the food with warm water, for some reason chicks like it like that and act as though you are giving them a really good treat. IF she eats the soaked down food, don't be alarm if she doesn't drink much.
    she be dehydrated?

3. jmb213

Aug 6, 2013
    Wilton, Ca
    We have been giving her wet food- she doesn't touch it. When we reach down near her she comes over and puts her head into our hand. I've been holding her, but even than the chirping persists. She does like the companionship (she'll perch on my hand), but we are worried about the rest of the flock and don't want to spread whatever could be causing her to stop eating & drinking. She will sleep- that's the only time she's not chirping.

4. jmb213

Aug 6, 2013
    Wilton, Ca
    I guess it could be worms- but I don't see anything in her poo- it's pretty watery and milk chocolate in color. I'm at a loss. The poor thing [​IMG]

5. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    then it sounds like she's in some sort of pain. any changes with the antibotics?

6. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    She has diarear?

7. jmb213

Aug 6, 2013
    Wilton, Ca
    Yes, but she's not eating solids- so I'm not sure how helpful that is in determining what's wrong.

8. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Well we got to worry about dehydration at this point. let me see, Wait let me get someone else who may be able to help

9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Do you have any Corid? If not, go to Tractor Supply and get it ASAP! Powder dose is 1.5 teaspoons per gallon for 5 days, liquid dose is 2 teaspoons per gallon for five days. Can you post a picture of the poop?

-Kathy

10. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    And yes, dehydration is definitely something to worry about.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by