Month old chick losing balance HELP

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by blitz1027, Dec 5, 2011.

1. blitz1027

blitz1027 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Natchitoches
    Hey all I got Ideal poultry's .99 Bantam special last month and all the birds have been doing fine but this morning I noticed that 1 of my little red frizzles won't try to walk. It will just hobble around on it's legs and it loses it's balance and has used it's wings to right itself. As I was watching it it would hobble over to the feeder and eat but unlike the rest of the chicks it won't stand up it will just lie there. Please help me I really worried about one of my babies

2. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Quote:Huh. Maybe a bacterial infection? I'd probably treat him with antibiotics.

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Some of the respiratory ailments can have lameness issues. Botulism, Eastern equine encephalitis, and Marek's. I think your chick is too young for them, cept for botulism, but that would cause a quick death most of the time.. I would try vitamins, esp B complex. Alot of people here have luck with that. Especially if you are using medicated feed.

4. blitz1027

Feb 10, 2011
    Natchitoches
    I went to TSC yesterday to pick up some more feed and while I was there I talked with a guy that works there that raises Americaunas. He said it may be coccidiosis. He gave me some medicine to put in they're water called tetra something or other. He said if it was Coccidiosis it would help. I mixed it last night for them and I made sure the bird drank some of I noticed that it was standing and trying to walk this morning. So I'm hopeful

5. blitz1027

Feb 10, 2011
    Natchitoches
    Well it's day 3 and the chick will try to walk occasionally but it will constantly loose it's balance and fall. It also spends Most of it's time in one corner of the box it's in and won't even try to go over where the rest of the chicks are. It just stays laying down in one spot all day.

6. blitz1027

Feb 10, 2011
    Natchitoches
    Just thought I would let you guys know that I had to cull the chick last night. When I got home from work last night I went in to check on it and it couldn't stand at all. It's legs were sprawled out in front of it and it was flopping back and fourth flapping it's wing trying to stay upright. I felt so bad but It was suffering in a big way. after I did what I had to I went to one of my pens I held my Brahma rooster for a while. For some reason he always seems to make me feel a little bit better even if he can be a snot sometimes.

7. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Sorry. [​IMG] I do the same thing, I also sit in the coop and cry my eyes out. I hate doing it, but I don't want an animal suffering.

8. RedIII

RedIII Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2011
    Tooele, Utah
    [​IMG]

9. blitz1027

Feb 10, 2011
    Natchitoches
    It's been a week since I had to cull my chick and all the rest have been doing fine but this morning I went in to check on them and I noticed another action the same way as the first one. What should I do? I don't want to lose another chick but I also don't want it to infect the rest of my birds.[​IMG]

10. Chicken n such

Chicken n such New Egg

Mar 25, 2014
    Unfortunately, this is happening right now to one of my new month old chicks. Epidemic? Maybe. I'm sorry to say this, but I would separate it. It could be spreading. Although, you probably shouldn't listen to me unless someone seconds this, considering I made is account today.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by