month old chick may have splay leg or leg injury HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by WIChookchick, Sep 11, 2010.

1. WIChookchick

WIChookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Rural Brooklyn, WI
    I was out at the barn yesterday and noticed one of our month old chicks suddenly lurching as it walked/ran about...
    Its our frizzle chick who's sire passed away before this one hatched out. We have had problems with Frizzle cochin bantams in the past..
    I want to nip this in the bud before it gets bad.. IT moves around well but you can see one or both legs going out sideways when he is walking and running around
    Should I put a small piece of vet wrap around its upper legs to help it along? Should I confine it to a small area so it can rest the leg?
    OR should I try to amputate?
    These eggs were hatched out by a hen, but 3 eggs came from other hens.

Thanks
    Carol

2. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    If he's moving around well, and your are not going to take him to a vet, I think the only action I would take is to maybe put him in a pen with the other 2 chicks(don't want him to be lonely), and keep an eye on him. I have a duck who had trouble with it's feet because it seemed to be pigeon-toed. He walks kind of funny---sometimes he trips himself up---but he seems perfectly happy, and keeps up with the others.

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Check the surface he is on. Make sure it is something not slippery, that has plenty of traction. I've found that lawn gives the very best traction.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by