1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Month old chick walking like it's drunk

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dee pillaro, Mar 6, 2017.

1. dee pillaro

dee pillaro Just Hatched

Jun 8, 2016
    Louisiana
    I bought several different breeds of chick's from cackle hatchery. I had a high mortality rate after I got them from day 1 . Now I have a light Braham staggering around like it's drunk. Could someone please tell me what could be wrong? It's a month old and I'm worried. I have it by itself and I've given it electrolytes.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Is it drinking or eating? Does it look hunched or puffed up? Any diarrhea? At that age, I would worry about possible coccidiosis, since I think you have other chickens. That is the most common illness in month old chicks. Runny poops with mucus or streak s of blood are common in cocci. But they don't all pas blood. Corid (amprollium) powder or liquid is good to treat cocci in the water. Dosage is 1 1/2 tsp of powder, or 2 tsp of liquid Corid per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Treat all chickens at the same time. Keep their bedding dry and clean, and raise waterers to shoulder height. Her is a good link to read:
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by