Month old chick with gurgling breathing, listlessness

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ThIsafricanhome, Sep 14, 2016.

1. ThIsafricanhome

ThIsafricanhome Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2015
    I have been treating my batch of month old chicks unvaccinated chicks for cocci for half a week now with corid because they were all seeiming droopy and not gaining weight, some had watery droppings. Its Wednesday and Sat will be the week of treatment. I have one chick in particular that is smaller than the others, always has been, but today I found it hunkering down, not eating or drinking and it has a gurgling/crackling sound when breathing. We do have some special circumstances in that we live in Congo, away from everything so I cant run to the feed store for stuff, medicated feed is not available and the only meds I have with me are what we brought here.

I have given it drops of polyvisol and was going to mix up some Duramycin-10 solution to dropper that in. Suggestions on dosage? It is the powder. Any other suggestions are appreciated, though I may mot have other suggested meds. Thanks!

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Do you have a scale to weigh the chick? If you know it's weight you could make an oral drench with the Duramycin 10. Otherwise, the 800 mg dose is 1.5 tablespoons.

-Kathy

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
  3. ThIsafricanhome

ThIsafricanhome Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2015
    Thanks. I was able to get some mixed up and administered but the chick died anyway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by