month old chick with Hugely bloated neck and chest!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by coopersgirl, Aug 30, 2010.

1. coopersgirl

coopersgirl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2010
    I have a chick that is about a month old he was raised by a broody but the broody seems to be ignoring him now. i noticed him outside looking up at the sky swaying so i brought him in and he is totally bloated. it feels like air, it goes right up to his head and it is a huge amount of bloating. i checked his butt and he had pasty butt and i cleaned it off. could this be from not being able to poop? I am not sure what to do with him and i am so worried. he could not have had the poopy butt more than two days because i cehcked him before going to a friends house and he was fine and healthy. he might be eating some grower food but he has his own area where he sleeps and gets chick food.

please help i have no idea what to do. ive been massaging him and he allows it. it feels like it is completely air in his neck. he has his neck on his back most of the time staring up at the sky. i have given him a bit of water but dont want to give him too much til i know whats wrong

2. coopersgirl

Aug 30, 2010
    please please someone must know what is going on, is this sour crop? Is this from the pasty butt? please [​IMG]

should i keep massaging it, or no, cuz it is only air?

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Calm down; it's only 13 minutes between your postings.

How heavy was the pasty buildup? Did he poop afterwards? They may be related to the same thing or not. Does his crop feel mushy? Open his mouth and smell? Does it smell sour? Yes, that would be sour crop. Get him some live culture yogurt (plain, unsweetened, with as many cultures as possible) and feed him. Also give mylanta (probably about 1/2 teaspoon at a time; you can repeat several times per 24 hours.

4. coopersgirl

Aug 30, 2010
    Quote:Sorry you know how it is when you are worried , the seconds go by so very slow. he has pooped normally at least twice so far but he does not eat or drink. I was thinking of giving him yogurt but we only have yogurt with sweet stuff so i am not sure that will be good for him??

what is mylanta? I have tetracycline, should i give him some? he just looks so uncomfortable. i have been massaging him but it does not do any good, it feels like air in there. his mouth does not smell funny at all, not like i would expect with sour crop.

Thank you for helping me.

5. Mylanta is an antacid.

6. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Is the bloating on the right side, between the neck and chest? Maybe it is just a huge crop. If it ate a large amount it could be normal.
    Can you post a picture?

Imp

7. coopersgirl

Aug 30, 2010
    so i got a look at it under fluorescent light and it is a huge gas buildup (or air). i have no idea what to do. could the pasty butt have caused this buildup? Should we cull or is there something that can be done? What if i pricked the bubble of gas with a needle? I have no idea but you can clearly see it is a gas buildup, from his chest and crop area to the top of his neck.

??????????????????

8. coopersgirl

Aug 30, 2010
    Quote:he has a HUGE gas builduip in his body. we only have pepto bismol or tums (in tablet form). Would baking soda in water work? bf uses that for gas and heartburn sometimes.

I've never seen anything like this [​IMG]

9. tamelroy

tamelroy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    Mass
    did you give it an antacid like the other post said? (if it is a gas buildup it might work)

and you could always go to this link and see if any of them sound like your bird, that is what I try to do, it doesn't always work might you can give it a shot.

http://forum.backyardpoultry.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7955021

I hope you find out what is wrong, good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by