1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Month old chick with watery eyes, droopy lids, discharge

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SarahRedmond, Oct 20, 2012.

1. SarahRedmond

SarahRedmond New Egg

Oct 20, 2012
    I have a month old lavender Orpington who has just presented with watery looking eyes, loose droopy looking eyelids and discharge coming from both eyes. She has recently been transferred from indoors to an isolated compartment in our large chicken coop along with five other month old chicks. We currently have four full grown chickens living in the coop. I'm not sure if this chick has been pecked in the eyes or if she has an illness. I would like to treat the chick myself if possible. Any input I can get in this I would greatly appreciate.

2. violetlily

violetlily Just Hatched

May 25, 2012
    I have t he EXACT same problem! I hope someone answers you so I can benefit from their answer. I'll keep an eye out and Good Luck to you and your chicken

3. arcy liger

arcy liger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2012
    she is cold. just clean her eyes and no outdoors.

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

At four weeks they need 75-80 degree temperatures.

(90-95 degrees first week of life then decrease by 5 degrees per week until 6 weeks or fully feathered, even on the head)

Yes I agree with arcy- this occurs when they get cold stressed near death. There may be another reason but if she is cold then I'd try to warm her up.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by