Month old Chicken skin and bones

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by megancarleigh, Nov 7, 2016.

1. megancarleigh

megancarleigh Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2015
    SW Florida
    I had 5 young chicks, 2 ended up escaping and getting caught by the cat... I was having my sister and mom take care of them for the next week or so, I come out and 2 more are dead in the cage skin and bones... leaving 1. (I do take care of my chickens this was and is a one time thing!) while I was gone they moved the chicks into a pen which is wood and shavings and was housing 2 new silkies....they were fed and eating so I blame mites which I did find. (I dust my chickens and surrounding areas, I got these from a feed store that carries a lot of chickens in a close area so that's probably why) but now I am trying to gain some weight on this a little over a month old chicken she is a buff Orpington to gain some weight... I've been doing straight medicated baby chicken food, water with nutridrench and feeding some dried meal worms for the fat and protein content to get some weight on her.

Any ideas on to get some weight on her??

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I think your feeding regimen is good. A single bird doesn't do well and that could be the reason. They need a flock.

3. megancarleigh

megancarleigh Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2015
    SW Florida
    She's around other birds I just can't put her with them all the time since she is quite younger than they are

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by