Month old chicks are SAVAGES

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Luffa, May 6, 2017.

1. Luffa

Luffa Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2017
    Central Maryland
    Following the excellent advice from azygous (Topic of the Week - Raising People Friendly Poultry Post #4 ) I've been hand feeding treats to my 9 pullet chicks. They love them and we've made real progress. They're no longer scared of me and will eagerly take treats from my hand. Real eagerly. In fact they're on me like hyenas on a carcass. It's kind of cute now that they're little but, at their astonishing growth rate, they may be able to do some definite damage soon. I'd rather this didn't happen. Any advice?

Xavier

2. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    What do you mean damage?Like scratching?It really isn't that bad.Just push them off of you whenever they get on you.

3. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    What damage are you afraid of? You mean from them pecking at your hand? Even adult chickens shouldn't peck so hard as to hurt you. If they get a little too worked up and start biting you can "peck" them back by tapping them on the top or back of the head, as that is how they'd tell each other "That hurt!"

If it really does make you nervous to have them pecking at your hand, you can try wearing gloves when you hand feed them. I keep gardening gloves on my porch as "chicken gloves" (I wear them to keep my hands warm, and to handle yucky things like the rake for cleaning out the coop). They'll be a little nervous over the fact your hand looks different but will get over it very quick.

4. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    Gender has nothing to do with this, not everyone wants to be pecked at or scratched up. My husband has been wearing gloves too with the chickens, just easier to keep hands clean and warm that way.

5. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Yeah.I hate getting scratched up,infact sometimes my chickens get knocked off me if im not wearing jeans.This type of stuff on bare skin hurts.Does not hurt my hands because my hands are like sand paper.

6. MigraineMan

MigraineMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2017
    Frederick, Maryland
    Our older "chicks" are coming up on 9 weeks now, and they descend on treats like a squadron of F-15s (only less coordinated.) They regularly peck at my fingers. More than once I have tapped them firmly on the back to let them know I'm the alpha-chicken. Even the rooster responds to that. But they've been conditioned to recognize that "the hand" coming into the brooder means "treats."

We have been hand-feeding them since we got them, and all seem to respond pretty well to handling. Finger-pecking is just par for the course. (They're not the sharpest hammers in the drawer.)

7. ILuvMyFlock

ILuvMyFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2017
    On the Farm
    It's something you'll have to get used to honestly, birds peck and sometimes it hurts. :p I deal with big birds like turkeys and man do they hurt if they get frustrated.

8. ChickenFajita6

ChickenFajita6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2017
    LOL..mine are nearing 2 months old, and you're right, they are savages!! My Dominiques are the absolute worst. They've always been the bravest and the first to come to running for treats. Now I can barely change out their water or do anything in their coop (they're still in a large wooden box in the garage) without them attacking my fingertips. Those little buggers hurt.

9. Stephine

Stephine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2016
    Sonoma
    If they are pretty relaxed around you now, I would just stop the hand feeding and throw treats down on the ground. They'll learn quickly that they don't get anything while climbing up on you or pecking at your hands....

10. ILuvMyFlock

ILuvMyFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2017
    On the Farm
    Think hand feeding chick babies / teens hurt? Try hand feeding full grown turkeys! Mine grab the food and shake their heads with my hand skin accidentally in their beaks lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by