Month old chicks don't seem to eat much.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by amrbomb, Mar 4, 2017.

1. amrbomb

amrbomb New Egg

Mar 4, 2017
    Hello there,

I am a first time chicken owner, raising from chicks. They are a month old now, definitely getting bigger, but they don't seem to eat much food. The just kick it around leaving a huge pile all over the brooder. At first they were addicted to chicken scratch, but now they just kick that around too. I then gave them a smoothie with water, starter and a little scratch, they soon tired of that as well. I'm wondering if they are eating and then are kicking around the excess food. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Adam

2. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Chicks should not get scratch unless given grit.....I never give my Chicks scratch till at least 4 weeks old.....The starter feed is all they need to grow.....

Cheers!

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    x2. Chicks in general kick and spoon the feed out of their feeders, and can be wasteful. They will eat as they need it.

1 person likes this.
  4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    May want to keep the feed in a feeder so that they can't kick it all over. Spilled feed is usually wasted feed. They won't starve themselves. And most chicks that age eat less than a 1/4 cup of feed a day.

5. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    Like most "kids" chicks like playing with their food as well, so they're only half treating it as food and throwing the rest around, sitting in it, etc.

And no need for scratch or other treats at this age, but if you do want to give them some, do be sure to offer chick sized grit as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by