1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Month -old chicks stressed out by overheating

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tkpkchicks, May 31, 2016.

1. tkpkchicks

tkpkchicks New Egg

May 31, 2016
    My (two) month-old chicks got overheated today when their shade blew off the cage and their water dried up (or they drank it all). I got back in time to get them drinking again and cooled down. They were in bad shape (panting, floppy), but after reviving were fine for hours afterwards, walking around, eating, peeping happily. When we put them back in their cage for the night, however, they began stress-peeping. We have not been able to calm them down. Could they still be dehydrated? Are they now scared of the cage? If anyone has any ideas, I would welcome them. I am brand-new to this and my children (and all their friends) will be devastated if we lose them! Thanks!

Shannon

2. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Possibly it's too hot?

I would keep cold water in with them.Are sure its "Stress" peeping and just not normal, loud,obnoxious chicks.

3. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    They are probably scared of the cage now.depending on want kind of cage it was. They enjoyed their freedom.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by