Month old chicks suddenly lost weight, possible diarrhea??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Noobchick, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Noobchick

Noobchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Creedmoor, NC
    1) What type of bird , age and weight.
    2 Ameracaunas, 1RIR, 1 Welsummer, all almost 5 weeks old

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    They've been having what Ive identified as ceacal poops, but way more often since after being treated for a vitamin defeciency. Id say about every 2-4 poop looks ceacal. Today I picked them up to clean out their brooder and all of their breastbones were sticking out and very noticable. They feel smaller than they did last night, about 14 hours ago.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    Thyve been having more ceacal poops for at least two weeks, but weight loss has been overnight.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    I have two other chicks in a seperate brooder and theyre not showing either of these symptoms.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    No

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    Im wondering if it could be either the ceacal poops or the change in bedding I was forced to make.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    They seem to be eating and drinking normally

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    Runny, dark brown, sometimes a poop will look half normal and half ceacal.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    Nothing

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    Will try to fix this myself.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
    Cardboard brooder with high sides, plastic lining with many layers of newspaper over it and pine shavings over that. The store was out of my regular pine shavings which are big and had very few small bits. The pine shavings I ended up with this time came in a black opaque bag so I didnt realize that it was all tiny shavings (about the size of apple seeds).

I'm really concerned now that theyre losing weight and dont want to lose them after having taken care of them for five weeks. Someone please help advise me!

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    What did you use to treat the vitamin deficiency? Maybe its throwing their digestive systems out of wack [​IMG] have you tried giving them some yogurt or oatmeal? Really all I can think of right now. Good luck!

3. Noobchick

May 23, 2011
    Creedmoor, NC
    I gave them Nutri-Drench, 1ml in their water for 3 days, then plain water for 2 days then vitamin water for another day. This was about 2-3 weeks ago I believe.

4. kelar

kelar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    yacolt
    These chicks probably have coccidia. I'd treat immediately with Corid or one of the sulfas - sulfadimethoxine if you can get it, or sulmet if not. You do NOT have to see blood in the droppings to have coccidia and the weight loss is a symptom. Treat them quickly because cocci can kill very fast.

5. Noobchick

May 23, 2011
    Creedmoor, NC
    Ack! Didn't know that about it possibly being cocci even without blood in their stools.

I'll find a store that stocks Corid.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by