Month old EE, boy or girl?- pics added

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by storminthenight, Nov 1, 2009.

1. storminthenight

storminthenight Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2008
    Missouri
    I have 8 EE chicks that are around a month old, they are my first EE's. 7 of them 8 have short tails and totally flat heads, pretty much no comb development, then I have one that has a longer tail, not as fanned out as the others, and it has a few little spikes on its head.
    I'm wondering if these characteristics could mean its a boy? I have pics I will upload tomorow, but my camera couldnt get pics close enough to show the comb at this point.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  2. storminthenight

Nov 22, 2008
    Missouri
    Ok here are the pics of him/her . . .
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. kooltex

kooltex Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    NE Tx
    That looks like a pullet to me.[​IMG]

4. storminthenight

Nov 22, 2008
    Missouri
    Darn it, lol
    I actually would like it to be a boy.

5. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    You said your chicks are "about" a month old - are they closer to 4 weeks of age or 5? It looks to me like this chick's comb is pink - is that correct? Are the combs on your other chicks still yellow? The length of the tail won't tell you anything about the sex of an EE at this age, but the comb color could.

6. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    I'd say pullet!

7. Rebel Rooster

Rebel Rooster I Will Love! :)

Jun 29, 2009
    Central SC
    My Coop
    Pullet!

8. HenPen

HenPen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Quote:I said the same thing about mine and everyone thought I was crazy and now I am still hunting for a roo...

9. storminthenight

Nov 22, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:I'm actually kind of guestimating the age, I'm a bad chicken mom and forgot to write down the day I got them. It was the beggining of october though. That sounds about right, the other 7 have totally flat, very yellow combs. This chick is more pink and has a few little spikes, although the pictures dont show it. The others have really short fanned out tails at this point, wheras this one is much longer.

10. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    Even though the coloring/pattern looks kind of girly, since the the comb is pink already I think you still have a chance that this chick is a boy. All my EE chicks, hatched Sept 28th, still have yellow combs. I think you should add new updated photos to this thread in about 1 1/2 weeks (when the chick is at least 6 weeks old) - by then, it should be more obvious one way or the other.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by