1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Month-old EEs - what do you think?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sevenbabychicks, Oct 12, 2012.

1. sevenbabychicks

sevenbabychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
    So these babies are around a month old, and one is already an obvious roo. What about the others? I know it's early, but I was hoping an EE expert out there might be able to tell based on their colors.

Here's the first one - it's mostly non-standard ameraucana with possibly 1/4 marans mixed in. I'm guessing cockerel because its comb is a little pink, and because it's the nicest.

[​IMG]

A dorsal view. Forgot to rotate the pic - sorry!

[​IMG]

Here's the one I'm pretty sure is a roo. Its comb is big and parts of it are really pinking up. It also has the beginning of wattles (although both parents are bearded). It's an ameraucana/marans.

[​IMG]

The chick below is a full sib to the previous one, but looks so different! Its comb is little and pale, and its head feathers are growing in red/black.

[​IMG]

The final one is a faverolles EE. So far its colors and comb say pullet...

[​IMG]

2. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    I think one and two are boys and three and four are girls. But I agree 1 month is a little early to be sure (in most cases anyway)

3. sevenbabychicks

Sep 9, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
    Thanks! Yeah, that's what I've been thinking too. Hopefully nobody else starts to pinken up. I'll keep posting pics to this thread every little while; I'm especially excited to see what the brown/black/white one looks like all grown up. [​IMG]

4. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    i really don't see anything that says cockerel at all. i find that ee's combs can turn red early but still be a pullet wait another 4-5 weeks then re-post some side pics of them all

5. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    The coloring on the first one indicates female. The one you think is a roo could go either way at this point. The other two seem like females, but like the poster above mentioned, wait a couple weeks and then it should be more clear.

6. sevenbabychicks

Sep 9, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
    Updates! They're about 7 weeks old now, and the #1 is getting more rooey every day. I think #3 is too... but is more confusing. I still see nothing but pullet in #2 and #4. Thoughts?

(Also, how do I rotate pics on this thing?? I rotated them when I saved them to my computer, but the uploader for BYC switched them back)

#1 - He's got a color combo I've never before. He's also really huge and was the first to feather out. When I dig into his shoulder feathers, I definitely see some red in there...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#2 - Tiny, colorless comb and lack of red on wings is making me think pullet for this one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#3 - the other suspect roo. I love him! He's so sweet and I his colors are awesome (these pics don't do him justice). He does have orange feathers on his wings/back which made me think roo initially, but then I found a few pics of others' pullets who had orange at this age. His comb has been a little pink for some time, but is pretty small.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#3 - The faverolles EE. I'm super excited about this little biddy - she looks just like her faverolles bio-mom, but even prettier. Tiny, pale comb.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Firefighter Chick

Firefighter Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Southeast Minnesota
    I still see no males.

8. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Here at 7 weeks I'm seeing all pullets. My EE boys had HUGE combs at 7 weeks, and definite red shoulder patches.

9. sevenbabychicks

Sep 9, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
    No way, really?? That's be great - I'm already so attached to them and really happy about how their colors are turning out (although I did promise my aunt a rooster [​IMG])

Though... their dad was one of those late-maturing EE roos. I bought him from a pro as a pullet when he was 8 weeks old. His comb was suspiciously pink, but small. And #1 has started making the "look here, there's food!" rooster sounds. Has anyone heard these from a non-broody pullet?

10. sevenbabychicks

Sep 9, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
    Here they are, a little more than 4 months old. Sadly, the wheaten chick didn't make it. Found him dead in the coop one morning; no apparent cause [​IMG]

As for the rest, we have...

A pullet! Blue salmon, with feathered legs and a pea comb.

[​IMG]

A pullet! Birchen, with a pea comb.

[​IMG]

And yep, a cockerel. Not sure of his color...
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by