month old mommy silkie, warmth, food,

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Dixiebazarre, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Dixiebazarre

Dixiebazarre Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2014
    Bogart GA
    Hi! So I just got 3 one week old chocolate orphingtons and the breeder threw in a one week old and a 4 week old silkie. The chicks have decided that the 4 week old is mommy, and this chick seems fine with it. At first I thought they were too cold then I realized they were just wanting to snuggle with mamma! So sweet! So, they were still not settling well, so I replaced my 100 watt white bulb with a purple heat one. I was totally unprepared for this! Also, got some diatemateous earth to put under the pine. Thoughts? I have one little runt that never stops peeping :( worried about it... Also, Weird question: I've heard you can boil chicken eggs for treats for the chicks, what about quail eggs since they are way healthier? I will likely post more, just all I can type at the moment. Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome
    Glad you could join the flock! Congrats on your new chicks :celebrate
    Have you dipped the beak of the runty one in the water so it knows where it is? Also is it eating well? Usually on week old chicks you can see the crop is full like a little lump on the chest. The usual for them cheeping all the time is that they are unhappy about something. Just make sure they are not too warm or cold. Too warm and they will move away from the lamp, too cold and they will bunch up under it. Also just watch the 4 week old is not picking on the smaller ones or bullying them out of food and water. You can give the eggs as treats mine love chopped boiled egg. I've never given them quail before though but I can't see why it would be different.

Wishing you the best of luck with your chicks and be sure to ask any more questions you may have. Everyone here to help and very friendly.
    Enjoy BYC :frow

3. Dixiebazarre

Dixiebazarre Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2014
    Bogart GA
    Thanks for the reply! The big one is a sweetie, but there is another week old baby that's kind of a bully. He has pecked the little one a few times. They seem to mostly be fine though. The little seems to be eating and drinking. I cleaned poop off all of them when they got here, and little had a huuuuuge piece of shell glued to his chest that I had to soak off. Poor baby. I scrambled them some eggs this morning and they ate some but not all. Any advice for a more sanitary way to feed them?! They are so messy!

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by